Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit my honey hole last night and it was still sweet! Started with a beetle spin, black with silver flakes. Got 3 smallies 12-14". Switched to a rebel craw and got 1 12". Switched to a 2" rattle trap in shad color and got a 13". Changed to a 4" Dallas countdown in minnow color and got nothing. Last I used a black and white spinner and got the biggest of the day, 14.5"! All from the same large pool! Water level was normal but stained

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
nice... i'm guessing you was WAY down stream from where i talked to ya, i was WAY down stream from there yesterday AM and did quite well, 2in black grub on a 1/6oz jig caught more numbers but a 3in pink twistertail 1/6 jig caught all the big one's. i'm still pounding them along front st in the evenings, same program cuz i won't throw anything that cost more than a dollar due to all the snag's JON

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this is the last time I try and post something from my wife's Iphone! Autocorrect sucks! It was the Hoga river, not the Hogs river! And it was a Rapala lure, not a Dallas lure! :mad:

Yeah Jon, I was in the spot I was telling you about. Did some experimenting with lures to see what works for smallies since I knew they were in there! I think the rebel craw works better in clear low water conditions. I also tried an orange and brown 1/8 oz. jig with a straight orange tail, tipped with a worm and got nothing. Ready to throw that lure away.

I like the beetle spins cause they don't get snagged that often, you can vary the retrieval depth, and they are cheap. You might also get a pike on those. I stick with minnow colors for this lure.

Also got some hits on a 1/8 oz jig with a 1" plastic straight tail minnow immitation. A lot of small fish hit this lure, except for one nice rock bass. Hard to throw in a lot of current though. Might work better drifting under a bobber.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts