close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoga River Report 4/14

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by KSUFLASH, Apr 15, 2004.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Decided to try a new spot on the river last night. Looked like some decent pike water. Threw out a bobber/shiner combo and then used another rod with a perch colored rapala. Didn't get any bites on the deadstick, but I got one heck of a hit on the rapala. Seemed there was some structure about 3-4 ft. down in the water where I was fishing. I got snagged in a tree limb, so I opened the bail to let the current pull the bait downstream. Right after I closed the bail and twitched the lure...SMACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!! All I know is it felt big. I never got to see exactly how big it was, but I am thinking the pike probably went 35". He snapped me off about 10 seconds into the fight. I was even using a steel leader. It was a rush though.

River flow: a bit quicker than normal
    Water clarity: stained
    Water level: slightly elevated above normal

:eek: flash------------------------------out :eek:

2. Kindlebeard

Kindlebeard OGF Birchbass Champ!!!

Thanks for the report! Do you fish in the Kent Area, or the Stow/CF Area?

3. KSUFLASH

I fish from the Kent Dam area all the way to the Rt. 82 bridge.
    Your welcome for the report. Hope the next report is better.

4. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

nice to see you around ben

you got to get me out their with you some time...............jim :D

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Ben, lets be honest with everyone. that rapala was actually a peice of bread and the supossed pike was actually a carp that broke you off! :D when you heading up to squito?

6. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I keep saying I am going to take the boat to Water Works Park, but I haven't yet. I've been spending all my time at Portage. Anyone know what the river looks like there. I just might hit it after work tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

7. Were can you put your boat in at to fish the hoga im willing to try it this year
    always wanted to catch some pike any one have a map kinda of new in that area thanks for the help SLIMEY

8. I was trying to decide where I was going to spend my time fishing this weekend; Ben, your report has made up my mind :) I haven't fished the Cuyahoga in a while. I've yet to catch a pike bigger than 20" out of there but even the little slimmers are fun to catch.

9. KSUFLASH

I think I am going to start my own little personal webpage that is basically Pike information, and the Cuyahoga River, because thats about all I have been fishing lately. Ok, now for your Hoga Report. I went to a favorite spot of mine and threw out that bobber/shiner combo on my ST. CROIX rod. I had another rod with an Bomber Long "A" style of rapala. It only took about 5 min until I hooked up with one on the bobber/shiner combo. She gave me a decent fight. I took a few pics and released her back to the water. I kept pluggin away with the rapala the entire time I was deadstickin, but I never got one on the rapala tonight. About 30 min after I got the first Pike, I had another Pike hit the bobber/shiner combo again. The fight was on. This one felt much better than the first, and felt just as good as the one I lost last night. After a good 5 min or so battle, I got her close enough to shore to see her. My heart started pounding, because I knew if I could land her, that this one was going to be the biggest I have taken from the river. Once I seen her, she seen me and gave me another good run on the drag. I finally got her in. WOW!!! Now this one was a bit bigger. I didn't have a tape measure, so I used my rod as a ruler and then measured it when I got home tonight. She went approx. 30" I took some pics, but they don't do justice to the fish. Wish someone could have been there with me to take a better pic of me and the fish. She was also release back to the water to give me another good fight some day.

Flow: normal
    Clarity: stained
    Weather: Sunny and little to no clouds
    Time: 6pm-8:15pm
    Total Pike Landed to date:4

:eek: flash-------------------------------------------------out :eek:

10. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

My biggest from the river is 36" If the flow is normal I think I'll hit it in the morning. Any idea of water temp?