Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
respect our rivers please
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to try a new spot on the river last night. Looked like some decent pike water. Threw out a bobber/shiner combo and then used another rod with a perch colored rapala. Didn't get any bites on the deadstick, but I got one heck of a hit on the rapala. Seemed there was some structure about 3-4 ft. down in the water where I was fishing. I got snagged in a tree limb, so I opened the bail to let the current pull the bait downstream. Right after I closed the bail and twitched the lure...SMACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!! All I know is it felt big. I never got to see exactly how big it was, but I am thinking the pike probably went 35". He snapped me off about 10 seconds into the fight. I was even using a steel leader. It was a rush though.

River flow: a bit quicker than normal
Water clarity: stained
Water level: slightly elevated above normal

:eek: flash------------------------------out :eek:

·
SOLID MEAT
5,694 Posts
Ben, lets be honest with everyone. that rapala was actually a peice of bread and the supossed pike was actually a carp that broke you off! :D when you heading up to squito?

·
Buckeye-Basser
1,590 Posts
I keep saying I am going to take the boat to Water Works Park, but I haven't yet. I've been spending all my time at Portage. Anyone know what the river looks like there. I just might hit it after work tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Were can you put your boat in at to fish the hoga im willing to try it this year
always wanted to catch some pike any one have a map kinda of new in that area thanks for the help SLIMEY

·
Registered
670 Posts
I was trying to decide where I was going to spend my time fishing this weekend; Ben, your report has made up my mind :) I haven't fished the Cuyahoga in a while. I've yet to catch a pike bigger than 20" out of there but even the little slimmers are fun to catch.

·
respect our rivers please
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I am going to start my own little personal webpage that is basically Pike information, and the Cuyahoga River, because thats about all I have been fishing lately. Ok, now for your Hoga Report. I went to a favorite spot of mine and threw out that bobber/shiner combo on my ST. CROIX rod. I had another rod with an Bomber Long "A" style of rapala. It only took about 5 min until I hooked up with one on the bobber/shiner combo. She gave me a decent fight. I took a few pics and released her back to the water. I kept pluggin away with the rapala the entire time I was deadstickin, but I never got one on the rapala tonight. About 30 min after I got the first Pike, I had another Pike hit the bobber/shiner combo again. The fight was on. This one felt much better than the first, and felt just as good as the one I lost last night. After a good 5 min or so battle, I got her close enough to shore to see her. My heart started pounding, because I knew if I could land her, that this one was going to be the biggest I have taken from the river. Once I seen her, she seen me and gave me another good run on the drag. I finally got her in. WOW!!! Now this one was a bit bigger. I didn't have a tape measure, so I used my rod as a ruler and then measured it when I got home tonight. She went approx. 30" I took some pics, but they don't do justice to the fish. Wish someone could have been there with me to take a better pic of me and the fish. She was also release back to the water to give me another good fight some day.

Flow: normal
Clarity: stained
Weather: Sunny and little to no clouds
Time: 6pm-8:15pm
Total Pike Landed to date:4

:eek: flash-------------------------------------------------out :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts