close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'Hoga dead'r 'na door nail

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Frozentoze, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Curiosity getting the better of me, and hearing it is a pike time of year, I gave the 'hoga near Rt8 a try for the first time ever on Sunday. Launched at Waterworks and went downstream to the powerplant. This was a promising looking stretch of water, but man was it dead. I didn't see any bugs, minnows, swirls of the water, or any other indication that fish might live here. It was interesting navigating my 16' tracker through the first 200 yds after the launch that averaged like 2' deep and was full of trees.

Oh well, I suppose if I had tried it my first time and hooked 'em like crazy it wouldn't be a challenge. Guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching. Anyone else ever do any good in this stretch?

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

That stretch is a pretty good stretch for more than a few species of fish. Keep trying, you will get them. You just caught a bad day and didn't throw what they wanted. There are pictures of nice fish in Falls Outdoor Sports that were caught right out back. Talk to those guys next time and see what they say to throw. The last time I was out at Edison (just down stream of where you were past a section of impassable class VI rapids and lowheads), about 2 weeks ago, they were still deep. We got 3 on heavy spinners in about 10-15 feet. Tried shallow running spinners, nothing. Buzz baits, nothing. Didn't try inlines. I imagine a heavy inline would work. Deep diving shad type baits work too. I don't know how weather fronts and such affect pike (I know they are detrimental to bass), but maybe that was the culprit.

The best time for pike is right after ice-out in the spring. They also make their way up feeder streams at that time too. Breakneck creek is great place to start. If they ever took that dam out at Plum Creek park in Kent, that creek would be good too. I would LOVE for that to happen since I have 3, count em, relatives and close family friends with property on the lower stretches of the creek in Kent and Brimfield. Not much in there but chubs and such.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I used to launch a jon boat at waterworks park. I'd fish a Rebel Wee-Craw and knock the snot out of the smallmouth, then switch to a spinnerbait and do the same with the pike. Never caught any monsters, but it was a lot of fun.

4. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

ahhh yes, the elusive pike. Guess I gotta get back to the river and smack the crap out of them. With the extended period of time with not much rain, and low river flow, as well as low river depth, I am going to take a guess that the pike are in the really deep holes right now, but should be comming back closer to shore to put the feed bag on for the colder months ahead.

Keep trying for the pike, they are in there, and some big ones at that. Of coarse there are some really small ones as well. Smallest one I got was probably about 6" long, and he was pretty cool, but had a bad attitude...haha....

flash-------------------------------------out

5. where is this at and do u need a boat to catch the pike or is off shore better.

6. KSUFLASH

fishin it from shore is fine. Biggest from shore this year is 34" pike. Safely released to catch another day. As far as where this is, I have gotten pike all over the river. Probably a good 10 mile stretch of it, if not more.

POTP, seeing that your in Chardon, you could easily fish north of Rt.82 brige in Brecksville and catch them.

flash-----------------------------out

7. I'm surprised to hear so much negative information on the Cuyahoga River not being the place to catch good fish right now. According to 'Big' Jack Kiser the Cuyahoga River is the place to be this week. The Cuyahoga River is rated as being the very best or the second best place to fish in northeast Ohio this week in 7, count them seven of the 9 categories! Supposedly the "Crappie (are) turning on" right now and you guys should really be slamming the Crappie, Smallmouth Bass, and Northern Pike. Good times and TightLines!

8. and this is a river. where r the crappie at also bass and wgere do i want to fish for the pike

9. KSUFLASH

FYI, the paper that Tightliner is referring too, always has the hoga as #1. I fish the hoga more than anyone I know. It has its good days and dead'r than a door nail days. Yes there are bass, crappie, pike, gills, carp, cats, etc... in the river.

As far as where to go, in my opinion there are different stretches of the river that hold different species of fish. Obviously the more rocky sections hold the smallmouth, and the deeper sections of the river, of which have already been talked about before, are good pike waters. Then there are those honey holes... :) If ya want crappie, find the downed trees. Most likely while fishing the river for crappie, you will also get bitten off a few times from a pike or two.

flash---------------------------out

10. KSUFLASH

[​IMG]

Nothing like a good looking pike from waters that doesn't have any fish.

11. nice fish. I didn't mean to imply the 'hoga is a terrible place to fish. I wouldnt have gone there if I thought that was the case. I just posted that I got skunked in a new place to me and wondered how others fared in that area. Good to see you do well in a place close to my home.

Thanks