close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hoga Cats

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by steelheadBob, Aug 2, 2007.

1. steelheadBob

steelheadBob Robs Guide Service

Well my motor is going to be down for a long time so i thought i would do it the old way and walk the banks of the hoga, i went out yesterday and got into some really nice small mouth and some nice cats, so i went down today for some to keep for the grill. So i made up some minnow balls so the smallies would leave me alone and drifted the bait on the bottom under the float in some nice shoots that i know of and managed to pull up about 25 cats, 3 carp and 2 sheephead.. I hept the smaller cats not wanting to eat anything over 3 lbs coming out of the hoga... They were fun as hell fighting them in the currant on my float rod... The water was high stained with some muddy water coming from the rain.

[​IMG]

2. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

NICEE

Steel, is it ok to eat them from the Hoga up by you ??

3. your going to be glowing after eating those.:D

4. sounds like u had a great time. i've eat fish out of the ohio 40 years , and i,m quite heathly. no worst then going to the store to get fish.reading in fur-fish & game that beef spline is super bait for channels. like to know how u made the minnow balls( if u don't mind) strawlberry chicken breast is super

5. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Great job!!! I bet that was fun. I would like to try that sometime.

6. steelheadBob

Boonecreek, i just took some froozen salted minnows and took a couple and wraped them up in a sack in a round ball you would use for steelhead eggs and let them sit out in the sun for a few and they got nice and stinky, i still cant get the smell off my fingers....
    Ill eat the smaller fish that comes out of hoga, but only once a couple of months.

7. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

whew....when you said you used minnow balls i thought , man, those minnows are going to be pi$$ed...HAHAHA. just kidding. buddy:p it's nice to get a few to eat and just wonder the river.

8. I was thinking the same thing. Those have to be some pretty big minnows to extract their....

Hmmm. Wonder if those would work for steelies

9. What exactly is a minnow ball?

10. awesome! nice cats, bob!

11. steelheadBob

Hey Joel, look down to #6 thread, just something i came up with for a stink bait.... and man they stink after awhile!!!!!!!!!:S :S :S

12. If you have trouble getting that smell off your hands, try rubbing some toothpaste on your hands.

13. steelheadBob

i used pure lemon juice and it came off 99% of it.

14. steelheadBob

Thanks amorican, i was going to head back down there today but have to fix the hunk of junk i call a car and work on the boat.... so ill save it for tomorrow:D

15. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Welllll, You know, can only be from a male minnow....:eek:

16. i went down there this morning but came up empty. I wasnt quite sure where i was headed. We usually come up towards rockside from the other way. i was using liver. anyway if ur heading down there any time soon let me know. we fish for smallmouth down there all the time and i would like to fish for some catfish i could probably learn a thing or two.

17. y are u eating fish from the hoga??????

18. better warn the steelhead! Bob is keeping his drifting technique sharp practicing on the cats! Good job Bob, a good way to pass the dog days.

19. steelheadBob

because im on top of the food chain LOLOL

I normaly use 6 lb fireline for my main line on my steel rod, but i put on this new braid thats a little heavier so the currant drags my line to the front of my float, i can whip it back like a fly rod!!!!!!!!!!