hoga 5/6/08

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by AnthHol, May 6, 2008.

1. Hit the 82 dam today for the first time this year. The water was still running pretty high but i managed to get into a few fish. Landed a nice fat largemouth, a sheephead and a small carp or sucker. All the fish came on 1/8 oz pumpkin tube. With the water on its way down the fishing should be good if there isnt much rain. Good luck

2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

3. I've been to the USGS website and don't know how to read the charts. Any tips?

4. The USGS website tracks and graphs river height and rate of flow. When viewing the graphs and trying to determine optimum fishing levels, you want to see a line that has been fairly straight/level for at least 2 to 3 days. This indicates that the river height and flow has been stable and would therefore not be too muddy and is likely at it's normal level/flow. For the most part, when you see the line spiking straight up you might as well not even bother fishing since the river will be raging fast and will be extremely muddy as the river is on the rise. A line that is sloping down indicates a falling and settling river, and depending on the river and how long the river has been falling for, fishing conditions may be decent under such conditions.

You can also get a good idea of the river/stream's fishability from the color code on the statewide map http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/rt. Green is best and indicates that the river is flowing at it's normal level/rate, orange and the red shades indicate that the river is low, the blue shades indicate that the river is running higher than normal, and black indicates that the river is at or near flood stages.

If you don't allready, I would highly recomend that you keep a fishing log of every outing. In your log you should record the river flow rate and river height as well as all other conditions that would effect your fishing. By doing this you will not only improve your fishing skills, but you will also come to be more familiar with the water gauge readings. Eventually you will be able to look at the chart and be able to visulize exactly what the river would look like.

John

5. I checked the flow before I went. It was fishable below the dam. I wasn't going down there with the intent to have a great day of fishing. Just stopped by to get some lines wet and then walk to river a little bit.

6. Thanks for all of the info jojopro, that is exactly what I was in search of.

7. No problem. Happy to help.

John

8. http://www.nps.gov/archive/cuva/management/rmprojects/wquality.htm

If you fish the hoga (above Akron) after a rain, don't poke yourself with a hook or expose a cut to the water.

Every time it rains, sewage is dumped into the hoga from Akron. See the above link. It's too bad our government treats the hoga like we live in third world country..

9. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

I once was dumb enough to wet wade the cuyahoga in summer time.
    I never knew of ''things'' floating around.
    One summer I got a rash on both ankles that looked a lot like pioson
    ivy but it wasn't. In 3 days that rash spend to over 60% of my body.
    I couldn't get to the Dr. fast enuogh.
    My M.D. took one look at it and said go to a dermatologist. he was able to
    hook me up with an appointment asap so I go in and the short of it is
    not even the dermatologist knew what it was. He called it a dermatitis.
    He give me a prescription for an ointment and the rash cleared up in 2 days.
    I know I got whatever it was from that river.
    I love fishing that river and will til the day I die but never again will I go
    without waders.

10. Could have been anything. Dermatitis is a generic diagnosis. The suffix "itis" means inflammation of. Derm or dermal is relating to the skin. Sorry, I don't want to sound like a "Know it all", but I've been working health care for almost 24 years. I don't think I'll try wet wading there after your experience!