Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FISHAHOLIC
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started off today down by cascade park. I put the waders on and fished with a spinner for about 30mins. but I had no hits. The river was flowing very good today as I had trouble crossing where it is normally a easy wade straight across. After the spinner I put on the rebel craw with one taker, a small smallie. Put on a rapala for the remainding 45mins hoping to find a stray pike but no luck. I will be back thurs. a.m. for some more river action. A few more dry days and warm weather it will be time for some :B :B pike!!!!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Sounds like a fish story to me Zach!

How you been boss? Lets get on the water someplace soon. Let me know when you might have time for a run to Berlin or WB.

Stay safe on that moving water.

·
ol' pal Steve
1,321 Posts
I have had that same experience at cascade, the water is just a little high to cross in some of my usual spots, and the feeling of being pushed downstream in waders is EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I have only gone in one time, right at the rocks by the cuyahoga st. bridge. It is a scary feeling to be held under by your waders, one that I would not recommend. I have used more common sense since then and stick to crossing at spots I know to be smooth and leave me some room to get pushed downstream without hitting any holes. It's good to hear that some smallies are hitting, it won't be long now until it is on. This rain will probably give it a rise, but it will hopefully come down quickly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I fished an area downstream from you for just over one hour. Yellow tail grub on jig, buzzbait, white spinnerbait, inline spinner, Zara spook. No smallies, no pike. Water looked nice!

If anyone is just starting on the Hoga below Cuyahoga Falls to Peninsula, don't try to cross even where it looks shallow. Zachtrouter really knows the water from his many posts. The Hoga is a powerful river. Remember that where it looks narrow and/or shallow, all of the water you saw in the scary parts is passing through there too. That means there is a deep rut and/or fast current that can sweep you through some deep or rocky waters where you can really get hurt. There are deep holes, slippery banks, and areas with mucky bottom. Unfortunately, there may be sharp objects from litter. It is usually not safe to go after a lure that is hung up. I fish many northeast ohio rivers and streams regularly and to me the Hoga is the most dangerous and unpredictable. Even more dangerous than the Grand. There are some areas you can access without getting into the river but I don't know them well. If you hike the Hoga in this area, you will likely be in the river for short stretches and on the shore climbing over fallen trees, scurrying up and down banks, ducking through heavy cover and deer trails. It is physically challenging. Bring a bottle of water, polarized sunglasses, a cell phone in a ziplock, and a whole lot of energy. Don't want to discourage anyone from fishing these waters. Just hoping this info will help one or more folks stay safe!

·
Off the beaten path
935 Posts
I can vouch for the craziness of the Cuyahoga. I've fished her for 25 years and she still scares me more than any other river I've been on. FP

·
getting jigging with it
625 Posts
i have been out a few times this year strictly for pike with no luck... Live bait would probably be the ticket right now i just don't like using it... Definately be carefull when wading especially alone... I know of some serious sinkholes on the river in kent and have almost drown in mud myself... Always excersice caution especially when entering somewhere new... I have been almost chest deep in muck on the shoreline....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts