Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone going to be out fishing the Hocking tommorow? I plan on heading down there but I have really no clue on access spots or where to start. I will probably be wading for smallies. It would be nice to hook up with another member. Anyone know what condition the river is in?

·
Just a blind man trying to catch a fish!!!!!!
1,978 Posts
Trap, The last time I saw the river it looked good , I may be out on it tomorrow, I f your llokin for good smallie action head up towards Nelsonville. Theres access all over due to the bike path , but my three hot spots are the Radio station , just south of it theres a gravel road , go down stream or behimnd movies ten , theres a road just south of it after crossing the bridge thers a pull off , go up or down here. The other on is in between Chauncy and the plains on 682 just past Walts Bar , turn on lemaster road , follow it till it forks then go right , follow road about 1 mile , theres pull offs everywhere , you can go up or down here also.. Hope this Helps!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Stay north of athens, anything athens or lower you will be fishing the hocking creek..... Whites mill is down to a trickle and looks a lot similar the rest of the way down, perhaps hocking port is in better shape but the area around me is dried up.

·
Catch it, then eat it :)
113 Posts
Riverwader. the gravel road right off of 33 past the radio station is public? who owns it? I'm always looking for new stops to fish...
Thanks

·
1,978 Posts
Slime, Ive neber know it not to be Public , Ive used that road for over 15 years and never had any problem

·
Catch it, then eat it :)
113 Posts
Sounds good riverwader.. i had no clue, i always want to good down it.. Is there a large pool or oxbow back there? just wondering... that's what it looks like on topo-scout maps.

·
1,978 Posts
Im not sure what an Oxbow is, But there are a few deep holes back there , And theres also alot of timber and cover along that stretch of river with a few rock beds , and a few old dams..Ive caught some really nice Smallies, Crappie , and Flatties between there and Movies 10..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Riverwader, what's the biggest flattie you've gotten out of that stretch? Mine was only 13 lbs and it was quite a few years ago. I always came in from the other side of the river and the road took you right to a dam. I think they have built some houses in there now.

·
1,978 Posts
HRCats, 2years ago I caught a 23# and a 17# on the same night on the same spot , I think I know of the road your talkin bout , if you go up the bike path about a 1/4 a mile theres another dam , thats where both cats came from . I was using small Live Bluegill as bait and caught both fish about 30-45 minutes after dark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts