close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hocking River!

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Fishman, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Against all odds of potentially catching fish in the rising river we managed to catch quite a good bit. It rained all day on us, but that didn't deter us after all we were wading. The water is just about warm enough to go waderless, but I still threw on the neopranes today.

The first spot we hit, I hadn't fished for quite a while. Previous floods had scoured out deep holes in areas that I generally used for crossing the river and so forth. I decided it wasn't worth taking a swim over and hit another spot that is much shallower, but typically doesn't hold as many fish.

We used 1/16oz tube jigs tipped with a tiny peice of night crawler. We probably caught about 40 bluegills, about 10 hybrid variants of bluegills (green/blues mainly), 3 redears, 2 rock bass, 1 smallie, 1 spotted bass, and 1 creek chub. I've never caught a chub in the Hocking, always figured the smallies and largemouths, and spots kept them thinned out, but it looks like there is a few in there. The largest gill was a solid 9 inch fish, my first fish ohio for the year, first fish ohio that I've actually measured I guess :p. What makes that even weirder is I never even catch bluegills in the hocking, but we got into a spot that was holding them very thick. The smallie went about a lb. He was a nice solid fish with a HUGE gut on him.

We got REALLY wet and a little cold, but it was well worth it. To bad the river will be blown in a few days if the weather continues the way its going, but at least I got a chance to fish it before the spring rains muddy it up.

2. catking

catking Banned

You guys are killing me. That's my type of fishin. Sounds like you all had a great time. Very nice gills !!! CATKING :)

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Fishman,

Im going to be down there for a week, for some fishing & hunting starting 2morrow. Send me a PM if you know any decent areas on the Hokcing that is close to shore, I'll have my dad & he cant walk very far. The last time I fished the hkcing we wadded the area just outside of Logan, near where the old drive in used to be.

Good fishing, that river holds some great smallies if you can find them.

We've had real good luck w/ Rockbass in the very narrow area of Hocking, just inside of Logan, sort of near the lumber store on 33.

Have you tried Salt Creek for smallies? If interrested PM me & I'll tell ya about a spot or two.

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Ohhh ya I've fished Salt Creek. Infact, I prefer Salt Creek over the Hocking, but as far as driving distance goes the Hocking River is right acrost the street from me here. I live in the country, right outside of Nelsonville.

I really don't know of many spots that are fishable from the bank on the Hocking, not to mention I think that by this weekend it may be unfishable from all the rain we've had. The only spot that I ever see people fishing from the bank is the bridge on 278 South, right next to the police station.

You heading out to Wayne National for some Turkey Hunting?

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Actually we have a hunting cabing off of State Rt 374, just outside of Laurelville.

6. Hey Fishman, glad to see that the fish are starting to turn on in the Hocking. I'm going to have to give it a shot for smallies next weekend if the river isn't blown out. I'll be looking for the first smallies of the year!
    I have heard about Salt Creek but never fished it. Is it a good smallie river? Is it smaller or a little bigger in the Hocking? I would love to try it sometime if the drive would be worth it.

7. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Salt creek > Hocking River. The area I fish is about the same size, but its composed more of riffle, run, pool in shorter distances. If you'de like to hit it with me oufisherman give me a shout. Its about the size of the Hocking, buts it a lot shallower. I C&R everything and would ask you to do the same, other than that you more than welcome to tag along to the spot I have on Salt Creek. The best part about Salt Creek in my opinion is the scenery is a lot nicer and the structure you fish is geneally 100% natural, unlike fishing old couches and brick piles like in the hocking :p

I was fishing the spot I found a few years back, and a few guys waded past me. First time that had ever happened to me there and they had 3 smallies on a stringer all of them about 15 inches, oh well. I havn't fished my spot there in about 2 years, I'll have to find my way back there!

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Oh by the way, the Hocking is blown :(

9. jfout

jfout 25 lber, I'm gloating

I remember that, them friggin bums, I would have given them 5 bucks to go to the store and buy a pound of fish.

10. Hey Fishman, sounds good. Maybe in a few weeks if this weather ever gets straightened out. If Salt Creek has some wood cover, I'll be slinging the tubes. Found that drifting a tube next to wood cover on Hocking is one of best presentations for me.
    I have no problem with catch and release for smallies. I have no desire to keep them. I'm guessing you wade if it's shallow than the Hocking. I'll keep an eye on the weather and give you a shout!

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I only fish the Hocking Wading - bewarned a few of the spots I fish require short swims :D I figure the Hocking will be back to normal by the middle or end of the work week. Its came down considerably since it got high and its already starting to get some good color to it. I drive over it on a daily basis so I'll keep you updated on whats going on.

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Whoa just noticed Jfout is posting on the boards, glad to see ya found the place. He was with me the day that those guys out at Salt Creek we're taking those big smallies. Wasn't that the same day we found a stringer laying in the water with a bunch of gills and suckers tied to it and no one was around to claim it? Needless to say I cut the stringer up and let the fish go.

13. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

Which salt creek you boys talking about?? I live in circleville when im home from college and have family that live In Laurelville, but i didnt think that the salt creek around there is that big?

14. i was thinking the same thing mintz

not the same creek/part around us here

15. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I'm thinking of the area somewhere south of Zaleski state forrest. I honestly don't know exactly where it is. Its not giant, but its decent sized.

16. jfout

jfout 25 lber, I'm gloating

I wondered myself so I checked my Ohio Gazetteer And Atlas it actually starts by 22 N.E. of Circleville and runs all the way down to Richmond Dale into the Scioto. So its the same one you are all talking about. The further south you go the larger it gets. Hope this helps.

17. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

The best part is there are no blocks between the place I fish and the Ohio River. Any fish in the Ohio could concievably swim all the way up there. Makes for some interesting fishing.

18. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

Any time this summer if you need company let me know ive been looking for a good creek back home to wade but have been unsuccessful so far. everything is a bit of a drive from me, so if you need someone to go let me know i love fishin for the smallies!!!

PS- im also strictly a C&R fisherman so your place is safe from me. ;)

thanx, jr.

19. Hey Juniormints, were are you located? I'll be making some trips on the Hocking this year between Nelsonville and Logan. Could always use some company.

20. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???