close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hocking River

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by I Fish, Sep 26, 2008.

1. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

I see that alot of people post regarding the Hocking River, and attend OU. I'd just like to note that OU essentially destroyed the Hocking with their flood protection project. The slow, wide silty river that you see from Whites Mill to the bridge by Harmony Rd. is truely an enviromental disaster. That part of the river used to look like it does above Whites Mill, but since OU, in all of their genius, built some of the student housing in the flood plain, decided to move the river, and widen it to stop the seemingly endless flooding. Now, because of the slow current, silt builds up, and slowly washes down stream. For example, it used to be about 30' deep at the mouth of Stroud's Run(Dow lakes overflow). The last time I was there, it was only about 10'. And this trend has continued for the rest of the river, to it's confluence with the Ohio. In the 1970's, my dad used to run a 9.9 on a jon boat from the bridge at Cole's Mobile Homes, to the Guysville dam, without stopping, and at low pool. Impossible, and barely imaginable today. Even the sand bars are covered in silt. Maybe you guys could lobby OU to clean up their mess, and possibly create a possible new economic boon for the area. Just imagine all of the enviromental protestors if a private enterprise tried the above, but, since it's all knowing OU, who am I to argue? Just my two cents.....................

2. RiverWader

RiverWader Cottontail Mafia

Im Glad there are no Boats on the Hocking, I dont have to worry about gettin ran over while wading.

3. Yeah, but you can still can fish in that stretch, so all isn't bad:) I'll agree it doesn't look good and isn't the best environmently, but nothing to do but fish it and wish it was different. Man, I miss seeing and fishing that stretch, as ugly as it is:) :)

4. yes they need to dredge it out from whites mill down they could take the sand n gravel out and use it for something but they never will unless it starts flooding down thru there it just a worthless stretch of ankle deep water

5. I don't mind it really, It could be A LOT better, but i'm still catchin fish:) If you don't mind gettin a little wet you can find those deeper channels and work them slowly and catch some decent footballs out of there.

6. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

Sure, you can catch fish there, but imagine what it would be like if it were still in it's natural state. All of that silt has to affect the spawn. I've talked to a couple of DNR guys, who think alot of those fish were actually hatched in the lakes that overflow into it, besides the fish that migrate up from the Ohio. Iowa DNR studied catfish that migrated 50+ mile up tributaries of the Mississippi River. Regardless, more water has to mean more usable habitat, and hence, more fish. There are more fish in Dow Lake than there are in a farm pond. I just don't think that OU should be allowed to destroy our natural resources for their economic gain. They should have to at least try to fix it, wing dams, or something. Anything is better than nothing. Maybe when the water in Hockingport becomes to shallow for boat traffic, people will take note, because that is what's coming. It may take several more years, but, eventually.......

7. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

You are right on, I fish, the river around guysville is slowing silting in, less habitat for the fishes, i canoed this area last year and from 8 years ago there is a amazing difference, hardly any deep holes left, couldnt find much bottom that wasnt silted in. It is not that the deep holes have changed as every river does, its that they are silted in...............

8. 3wt

3wt

I wasn't around when it happened, but I think only blaming OU is a bit misguided. The city of Athens supported the project and the Army Corps of Engineers (eagerly)carried it out. We know that many of the projects done by the Army Corps over the past 40 years have been environmental disasters. Personally, I agree with you that it is ugly, but I don't think OU is solely responsible. When I fish the Hocking, 90% of my time is spent upstream of White's Mill.

9. I Fish

I Fish I am what I eat.

You are right that the project was approved by the City of Athens, but I'd like to point out that most of the property on the south side of E. State Street is owned by OU. From Ponderosa on down, including Wal-Mart, and I think all the way to Arby's. The buisinesses there have a 100 year lease only. So, with the prime property on that end of town being the most valuable, and not forgetting the other OU property that used to flood, it would seem that OU should bear the brunt of the financial burden, as they have had the most benefit. Who else could take swamp and flood plain land, and turn it into commercial property? It really makes alot of sense. Especially when you look at the undeveloped hills on both sides of the river. They are privately owned, and aren't cheap, considering you can buy swamp ground for next to nothing, then let federal tax dollars fix it for you. PERFECT.............