Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished for a few hours this evening with good results. Caught 2 suckers on nightcrawler. Then caught 2 12in spotted bass on a green pumpkin tube. Had a big largemouth take me under some logs and he came off. Then I caught the fattest smallie I have ever seen. She went 18in and was full of eggs. Got the smallie on a tube also.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Very nice smallie. I definately miss the Hocking since moving from the area. It definately has some big smallies, spots, and largemouth. Here's a tip, when the water is high and muddy starting about this time, don't overlook throwing big shallow cranks in areas normally dry.
I did this last spring summer in an area around campus, and pulled in 3 largemouth all from 15-18" in a little depression that slightly slowed water. Normally the spot is high and dry during summer.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nice smallie...I've tried the areas around campus the last 2 days but the water is still up. This weekend should be good

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was fishing above whites mill.
Fishing-Miller23, its was an inch longer and weighed more than the one I caught with you.

Fished again today and caught another nice smallie that was 17in on a green pumpkin tube. Also caught 2 whitebass, 1 largemouth, and 4 crappie with 3 of them around 10in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I fished in waders from White's mill to the Bridge starting around 4:30-7:00pm. I was fishing weighted whooly buggers on fly rod and only produced 2 little smallies. (not much fish, but the river was pretty to wade) I did see several fish rise near the end. There were 2 fellow waders ahead of me that appeared to be doing Much better, and not fly casting. I think tomorrow afternoon I will switch to open cast rod, and use tubes/rubber worms. Thanks for the report. bobg

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Bobg12, good luck tomorrow. I would definately try some tubes on spinning tackle tomorrow. Fishing the grass lined banks has always worked for me. I don't know how the water levels are and temp., but don't be afraid to try throwing a Rattle trap or similar lure in red or some version of red. I pulled in a 14.5" smallie last weekend on one in WV. A suspending jerkbait can be good this time of year. Just don't be afraid to experiment and good luck.

·
Just a blind man trying to catch a fish!!!!!!
1,978 Posts
Went to Whites Mill and Waded out to the center Island. Water is STILL up a few feet but the fish didnt care.. Ended up catchin 23 White Bass and 6 Crappie, Caught them mostly on Minnows under a slip bobber .Had something nice on but snapped my line .As the water goes down more and warms up a little more the Eyes should start hittin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts