Hocking Hills/Lancaster area question

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by RJB, May 20, 2008.

1. RJB

RJB

New to the board. I live in NW Ohio and am taking my 10 year old son to Lancaster Memorial Day weekend to do some fishing and some pellet gun shooting.

We are staying in Lancaster and plan on fishing for a couple of days. I've seen that Lake Logan and Rose Lake are nearby. Are there any places in particular that anyone would recommend? We would like to rent a boat, but may also fish from shore as well.

We have been fishing for white bass on the Maumee river for a few weeks and having a ball. We would like to fish for bass in the area.

Thanks for the help! RJB

2. RJB,

Welcome to the board. I fish Lake Logan quite often and the past couple of weeks I have been doing pretty good on catching some gills, crappie, and saugeyes on worms and minnows. I would stop in at Down's Bait Shop that is located at the corner before getting to the lake and talk to John for current reports on catching some bass. At the main boat launch, they do offer boat rentals anywhere from pontoon to jon boats for rent.

Darryl

3. Don't waste your time at Rose Lake. Logan can be very productive - especially with a boat. Hargus Lake is very good for largemouth and catfish - it's about 15 min. West of Lancaster of U.S. 22. Rush Creek Lake is also nice, it's about 8 miles E of Lancaster just off 22 at Rushville. J&R Bait is a nice bait store in Lancaster at 1815 Cedar Hill Road.

4. Rose lake has a ton of rainbow trout in it. We catch them year round since it's a cool water lake. Very clean and peacefull out there. I think a lot of the trout die off in the summer but I know for a fact some survive and get big. I caught a 8 and a half pounder on power bait a couple of years ago. And the trout they stock are usaully around a pound. I never got a smallie out of there though. Never fished it for cats but have hered they are in there and are pretty big.

5. RJB,

Check out Hoking Hills Canoe Livery. They have a web site. You can fish and camp there. Of course, their business is canoe and kayak rentals with 2 trips that I know of available. I plan to do it later this summer so if you do it, PM me to let me know how it went. Have a great time! Tightlines!

6. Where is Rose Lake? Public or private?

7. RiverWader

RiverWader Cottontail Mafia

Rose Lake is out by Old Mans Cave, and its Public

8. RJB

RJB

Thanks all for the advice, looking forward to this weekend.

RJB

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Rose Lake has bass...big bass...they are tough to catch though.