Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am a student at OU and an avid fisherman. I'm really excited to start fishing the hocking regularly after reading old posts. Just curious as to when I should start looking to the river this fall to get into some sauger and saugeye. Also what presentation seems most effective for the fall bite? Thank you

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Just a blind man trying to catch a fish!!!!!!
1,978 Posts
You can catch them now but in low numbers. Starts picking up good in Oct.
Try using the simple lure of jig head and white grub slowly bounced or drug on the bottom where fast water meets slow

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Riverwader, in the few hears I've been a member here I've noticed that when it comes to southeastern you have quite the know how. Thank you for all the contributions!

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is a good presentation, where the back current meets the main river current usually is a little deeper not always but fish wait for food there and are more comfortable in that area. dont be suprised to get on smallmouth bass using that same aproach. if you can get in and wade you can fish some great spots!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am more than willing to wade just hoping to do so safely! The sauger bite turns back on in the fall even though they aren't spawning, the fish feed as the water cools in preparation for winter when they will feed less

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
They feed all winter long, some of our best trips on the Ohio have been in Dec/Jan/Feb. I was referring to the bite in the Hocking. There's a big push of them up the river in the spring and the bite can be ridiculously hot.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
How far from athens is the Belleville lock and dam?

I'd ballpark it at 45 minutes or so. That's going down US50 to Coolville, SR144 to Hockingport, SR124 to the dam past Reedsville. Racine Dam is not that different time wise, maybe a hair longer, but you get to fish the tailrace side on the Ohio side. At Belleville it's the locks side.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Reading this post made me smile a little.

I'm from Cleveland but attended OU from 1990-1994. As a freshmen, I was the only guy in my dorm who kept two fishing rods and a tackle box in his room.

I always had better luck at Strouds Run. However, if you're without a car, it's obviously a little difficult to get there.

As an aside, one of my favorite college memories was filling my 17 foot aluminum canoe with ice and beer for a party on Kurtz Street my senior year. The canoe contained all the ice and the beer remained cold.

Study hard and have fun while you're down there. It's a very enjoyable period of your life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Been catching saugers around athens regularly over the past 2 weeks. One a couple days ago topped out at 17 in. Been some nice white bass mixed in as well up to 14 in. Also got my fist bona-fide walleye out of the hocking a couple weeks ago. No size to it but still exciting.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Been catching saugers around athens regularly over the past 2 weeks. One a couple days ago topped out at 17 in. Been some nice white bass mixed in as well up to 14 in. Also got my fist bona-fide walleye out of the hocking a couple weeks ago. No size to it but still exciting.
I caught my only Hocking walleye a few years ago, also a small one. Maybe 8-9". Good sign, though!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Enjoy it, will definitely be the best time of your life. It is OK to be caught up in saugeyes, but do not forget the smallmouth fishery in the hocking, a great starting point is rockbridge up by clear creek n work towards Nelsonville. Do yourself a favor, get a kayak n carrier for your car n explore. Variety is the spice of life and that applies in many ways in good old Athens. Also, I may recommend getting into waterfowl hunting, deer hunting and trapping while your down there. Strouds and the hocking are excellent for ducks n geese. Hocking graduate advice for ya. O ya don't get kicked out of OU for anything stupid n keep ur grades up- Have FUN!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts