hmmmm...what's that smell?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by misfit, Mar 9, 2008.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

fresh from the oven,honey whole wheat bread:)
    just waiting for it to cool down a little,then i'll see if it's fit to eat.been awhile since i baked this from scratch,so i hope i didn't lose my touch:D

[​IMG]

2. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

Looks good Rick!!! Hope it tastes as good a it looks.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ah,it is more than good:D
    cut off a couple warm slices,and spread on a little honey/butter mix.i forgot how good that stuff is.last week was white bread,but this is my favorite:)

4. man does that look good, I can almost smell it from here.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if you like homemade bread,you'll love this.

3 1/2 cups white flour
    2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    2 pkgs. dry yeast
    1 tbsp. salt
    1 cup milk
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup honey
    3 tbsp. shortening
    1 egg

In large bowl combine 2 cups white flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, yeast and salt, mix well.
    heat milk, water, honey and shortening in pan until warm. Add to flour mixture. Add eggs, blend until moistened.
    Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.Gradually add remaining whole wheat flour and enough remaining white flour to make a firm dough.
    Knead for 5 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover let rise until doubled. Punch down and divide into 2 parts. Put into 2 greased bread pans. Let rise until doubled.
    Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

6. WB185Ranger

WB185Ranger Gotta Love Odie!

Does look yummy..........misfit we must be on the same "wave length", I made a double batch of homemade bran rolls yesterday :) WB

7. MMMMM, that looks delicious, I have a sour dough starter that Ive had for MANY years ago from when I lived I AK. I havent made bread for ages, just pancakes, but seeing thoose loaves, im going to have to make some this week. Damn they look tasty,, not much better than fresh out the oven.

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ranger,i'm on a roll lately,LOL.
    last week it was pineapple bread,then white bread,followed by a scrumptious pineapple upside down cake in the iron skillet.today this bread,and i've got bananas ripening for some banana bread this week:D
    gonna go for some Hawaiian bread soon.

sourdough is sounding good too.

9. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Please post your recipie for Banana bread! The old lady has some bananas ripening for the same reason right now. Your recipies are always top notch, would love to hear how ya make this stuff as well!!
    I feel obligated to say the version my girlfriend makes are excellant, but I'de love to try something new:D

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i'll be right back;)

here ya go.............................
    my little tip of the week.....i always add a tsp or so of pure vanilla extract to anything i bake.not the imitation stuff,but pure extract.
    i also like pecans in my bread instead of walnuts.

banana nut bread

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup vegetable shortening
    2 eggs
    2 Tbls. milk
    1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 med. bananas)
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1 - 2 Tbls. butter OR margarine

-Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
    -Beat together sugar and shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes, scraping sides of bowl often.
    -Add eggs and milk, one egg/Tablespoon at a time, while beating. Beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
    -Alternate adding flour mixture and banana while beating at low speed until all is combined.
    -Fold in nuts by hand.
    -Pour into greased loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 60 - 65 minutes.
    -Rub butter over the top of the hot loaf.

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if you like pineapple you can also substitute a can of crushed pineapple for the bananas,for a tasty treat:)
    or mix them together for something different,which is what i'll do with this week's batch.
    for an added bit of yummy,i make a powdered sugar glaze and pour over while the bread is still warm.that just takes it over the top:D

12. WB185Ranger

misfit..........your such a good cook, maybe you should try out for "Hells Kitchen"!! :) WB (I always copy your recipes!)

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.believe me,when i'm i'm in cooking mode it is hell's kitchen:eek::D
    if you ever watched julia child,she believed if you're not making a mess,you're not cooking right.i learned from her:D

14. WB185Ranger

I love to cook to, but like you I'm messy in the kitchen, looks like a tornado went through when I'm finished!! :) WB

15. That sounds like too much work, but it sounds wonderful. Can I just call you and you can go ahead and start it and when I get there it should just about be out of the oven? :D I think I might have to take down a couple of these and see if I can get them to atleast resemble a loaf of bread. :D

16. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

tony,i just happen to have some in the freezer for you:D
    polished off one loaf and sliced and froze the other for future enjoyment.homemade bread doesn't last more than a few days due to having no preservatives,but will last a couple months in the freezer and come to the table as good as the day it was baked:)
    i'll keep my mitts off of it till you can get up here again.

ps.............it is hard work.you know how my breathing is,LOL.gave me a rough workout with all that mixing and kneading:eek:

17. I just found this thread and thought I'd add my two cents. I thoroughly enjoy baking bread, and I use the recipe you posted with one additional step. After the punchdown and splitting the dough in half, I spread out the dough and liberally cover the dough with about 1/2 cup of diet trail mix (same as trail mix but without the M&M's). I then roll the dough up like normal, put it in a greased pan and set it aside to proof a second time. The mix I use comes from Marc's stores in the Cleveland area. It's from the King Nut Co., and is called Kings Delicious Diet Trail Mix. It has raisins, peanuts, sunflower kernels, pepitas, cashews, almonds and walnuts. I take about 1/2 cup of the mix and chop it finely with a butcher's knife. You can also make up your own mix with whatever seeds, nuts and raisins that you have at the time. Since not everyone enjoys this bread for sandwiches like I do, I'll usually make one loaf with the nuts and leave the other as plain honey wheat. Here's what it looks like made in a bread machine:

[​IMG]

They make this bread at our local Great Harvest Bread Co., and call it Dakota. It costs about $6 per loaf. This makes great toast slathered with butter, or is good just by itself.

I stopped using a bread machine because I didn't like the way it cooked the bread, and went back to using bread pans and the KitchenAid mixer with a dough hook and just 2-3 minutes of hand kneading. Here's what the bread looks like alongside of a loaf of classic white made the conventional way:

[​IMG]

Bon Apetite

RR

18. I'm a meat guy but all of this bread talk combined with the pictures has me hungrier than hell.

Mods ! Can we make this thread go away, I'm getting fatter and regular by the second.

19. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.ok,enough of the bread.for something to really get you going,check the bread PUDDING tread:D

20. I have gained 4lbs.just looking at and reading these posts. LOL