close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hitting LMR this afternoon

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Walter Adkins, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Anyone want to go with me. I will be going after small mouth while wade fishing around Xenia and north of there. If you want to go I will be heading out around 3:00 so just post up and I will pm you my cell number. I have to run to the store to get school supplies and will check in after I get back.

2. Would have taken you up on the offer if I'd had seen it earlier....my brother is coming into town tomorrow and plan on wading the same stretch, probably late afternoon. Let me know how you did today.

3. My partner cancelled on a trip to EF for crappie at the last minute. I wish I would have seen this yesterday. Oh well, I went anyway and caught maybe 30 or so, some were fairly nice.

4. I changed up my times yesterday. I did not start until around 9pm. I was throwing buzz baits until around 2am. Only manged to get the hook into four bass. Had plenty of blow ups on my bait but no takers. I did catch about a 15lb soft shell turtle. Thing grabbed my buzz bait, took me a long time to get that thing free. Saw no snakes but plenty of musk rats. I should have stayed with my early plans of fishing during the daylight hours but I just had to give night fishing a chance.

5. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Hey Walter, Do you ever throw Jitterbugs at night on the river. I used to throw them on ponds or lakes at night and did well but never tried it on rivers. S

6. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

Do snakes prefer night over daytime?

7. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

I caught a 20"+ channel Cat on my buzzbait this AM around 5:30...one of the biggest blowups I have had this year...thought it was a HUGE smallie, for about 5 seconds...lol Still was fun though!!

8. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

7x, I know the question was asked of Walter, but I've tried it and had some success with it. I tried it last night too for about 30 minutes, but no luck. As you might expect, the water on the river has to almost be like a lake or pond to make the jitterbug work right, but it does work well on rivers too.

CW

9. LMRsmallmouth

You can retrieve a jitterbug in fast water too....if it is a big enough jitterbug. The small ones like still water, but the big ones will wobble great in fast water too.

10. creekwalker

LMRSmallmouth, what size jitterbug do you throw in rougher water?

CW

11. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Thanks guys, I figured they would work on the river also but was not sure what parts. So I guess the size becomes the difference between still and moving water? S

12. LMRsmallmouth

They make a 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, and 4.5inch models. I personally would use a 3" but I don't fish them very often anymore. I would think you could fish the 4.5 inch model in any current, although that is alittle large for the LMR.

13. creekwalker

Thanks. I think the ones I have are from 2 to 3". I'll have to pick up another one of the larger variety, even if its a little large for these waters. I'd at least like to see the action on some rouger water and I've got PLENTY of baits that I don't really use already :D

One more question. Its one thing to be able to get the action in rougher/faster water, but is it effective in your experience? Intuitively it seems it would be harder for the fish to track in turbulent water.

CW

14. I personally do not like jitterbugs because of the treble hooks. I can drag a buss bait through wood cover without it getting hung up and a single hook at night is easier to get loose. As for where most of my strikes come from at night. Go shallow in fast current. Almost all of my bites come at the head of holes in the shallowest water or in swift current. And don't worry about them finding the bait. Most of the time I can not hear my buzz bait for the water but the bass find it with out any problem. I also have found that the brighter the night the more action I see. And considering that I wade without a light on I do not step on or get as close to snakes, turtles, musk rats, or beavers. A beaver slapping it's tail two feet from you in the dark will scare the tar out of anyone.