river rat
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went about 7:50 stayed til dark nothing... i'm gonna see how the weather
is this fri early morning

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
So here's what ya do Trailbreaker. Buy some one ounce egg sinkers some swivels and some number one baitholders and two dozen nightcrawlers. Steal from work a handful of those new Styrofoam peanuts. The new enviro friendly ones that melt away in water. Go to any dam on the GMR. Walk 40 feet downstream. Stack up some rocks to set your rod on. Rig up the hook, six inches to the swivel, then the egg sinker. Bait up and cast twenty five feet out. Leave the bail open and instead anchor the line under a little rock. One just big enough that the current wont pull the line out and no bigger. Take out a sharp knife, cut the peanut in half lengthwise, then cut a slit in one end. Using the slit, slide the peanut on the line just outside your rod tip. That way when a fish jerks your line out from under the little rock you will see the peanut take off into the water. Now start looking all around your rod at the rocks on the ground. Check every rock within twenty five feet of your rod trying to find the one that looks the most like the state of Ohio. If by the time you have checked every possible rock within twenty five feet you have not gotten a bite, reel in and take thirty more steps downstream and repeat the whole process. You shouldn't have to move more than once or twice before you catch fish. Guaranteed you will catch more fish than you have all year if you give the Ohio rock system an honest try. And you will be well on your way to having the best "Ohio shaped rock" rock collection on OGF...

·
Registered
84 Posts
LOL at the Rock System!
Stealth is a big part of catching fish.
I see guys out using good technique and lures but they aren't catching fish on the GMR. That's because they are wearing a bright solid colored tee shirt moving all around and fishing in the hole they just waded thru waist deep for no apparent reason.
Fish can see you, hear you and if you get in the water with them they can smell you.
I wear waders as much as possible and shirts that break up my outline. Staying low relative to the water makes it harder for fish to see you do to the way light refracts. Be quite when walking and keep your line in the water. I've caught a lot of fish when I was just casting at nothing while moving from one hole to another.
You made it this far now the real tip. Get some original floating rapalas in the 3.5 inch long range. Get them in chartruse, silver and black, and a perch. Stand in the fast moving current wear it is still shallow, right where it dumps into a deep spot. Cast out into the eddies all around still fast moving water in the deep spot. Small mouth, rock bass and saugeye love it right there. Stand still just casting, give each color a half hour in the evening after a nice day. If you don't catch anything go home and come back and try it again the next day at the same spot. After a few nice days you will have caught something. I caught a nice rock bass on my first cast on Sunday. The other 2 got away. I had a dry spell for the first half of September but the fish are coming on strong for the last 10-14 days.

·
She says I'm on one
908 Posts
So here's what ya do Trailbreaker. Buy some one ounce egg sinkers some swivels and some number one baitholders and two dozen nightcrawlers. Steal from work a handful of those new Styrofoam peanuts. The new enviro friendly ones that melt away in water. Go to any dam on the GMR. Walk 40 feet downstream. Stack up some rocks to set your rod on. Rig up the hook, six inches to the swivel, then the egg sinker. Bait up and cast twenty five feet out. Leave the bail open and instead anchor the line under a little rock. One just big enough that the current wont pull the line out and no bigger. Take out a sharp knife, cut the peanut in half lengthwise, then cut a slit in one end. Using the slit, slide the peanut on the line just outside your rod tip. That way when a fish jerks your line out from under the little rock you will see the peanut take off into the water. Now start looking all around your rod at the rocks on the ground. Check every rock within twenty five feet of your rod trying to find the one that looks the most like the state of Ohio. If by the time you have checked every possible rock within twenty five feet you have not gotten a bite, reel in and take thirty more steps downstream and repeat the whole process. You shouldn't have to move more than once or twice before you catch fish. Guaranteed you will catch more fish than you have all year if you give the Ohio rock system an honest try. And you will be well on your way to having the best "Ohio shaped rock" rock collection on OGF...
bulletproof

·
Registered
330 Posts
OSG! OSG!

post of the year.

my daughter tells me worms are like "peanut butter and jelly to fish". she quotes al lindner at 4 yrs. smh.

you can't go wrong with a worm and sinker tailbreaker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts