Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
6 Posts
How do you get to Hinkley from the Ravenna area?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Hinkley from Rvenna......go west on 303 till you see St. Bernard Golf course. Hinkley is just west of it. Follow signs off 303.

If you're in Ravenna and want trout, Lake Hodgson is a good choice and much closer.

·
captainhook
1,045 Posts
I didn't make it to Hinkley, but I did go to the lake beside Westlake Recreation Center. I limited out on Good Friday and Saturday. They stocked it on Good Friday (500 lbs. of trout). I have never had much luck at Hinkley...thought I would try a new place. Glad I did.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey moondog, what's the rec center like? How big is the lake & what did you catch them on. I will go to shadow this weekend if it warms up. 2 limits in 2 days, cann't beat that.

·
captainhook
1,045 Posts
It is a pretty small lake but is very accessible. Caught them mostly on Powerbait(rainbow color, orange and yellow). Saturday, before I left, they seemed to be hitting maggots. Also, the first day a guy was catching them using corn.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hinckley Lake was good fishing on Good Friday, I caught 4 rainbow trout and kept two for my good Friday meal. I hooked seven but lost three, only using 4 pound test, two twisted the hook out and one ran into submerged brush causing a cut line. I was using small crappies minnows suspended two feet down with a stick bobber. Numerous fishermen out Good Friday, looked like everyone was catching trout. The guy near me caught three using redworms tightlined on the bottom. I went out for an hour and a half on Saturday and got skunked, but it was good Friday.

Kaz32

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
what's the rec center like? How big is the lake
The westlake rec center lake is pretty small - probably around the size of shadow lake. It's like a big puddle - not real deep and no structure, except for a few rocks near where runoff enters the pond. Good place to take kids since there isn't anything to snag in the water (except for geese) and the shoreline is 100% accessible.

I live a couple minutes from there and would rather fish Wallace lake for trout.

·
Registered
15 Posts
went to westlake friday with moondog and also got my limit. I'm going back there tuesday morning with my 5 year old son. I hope he can catch a few trout. the dock there has a railing around it so its a safe place to take a kid. moondog let me know how you make out at hinckly if you go tuesday , by the way I made a rod holder like mine for you.

·
captainhook
1,045 Posts
went to westlake friday with moondog and also got my limit. I'm going back there tuesday morning with my 5 year old son. I hope he can catch a few trout. the dock there has a railing around it so its a safe place to take a kid. moondog let me know how you make out at hinckly if you go tuesday , by the way I made a rod holder like mine for you.
I caught four more on Tuesday. I missed a big one that almost pulled my pole in the water. I reeled it in close to the boatdoak and lost it at the last minute as I reached for it. I should have had a net. It was over 20 inches at least. Might go again this weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts