close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hinckley Lake (2-5)

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Feb 5, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Dad and I hit this lake today.....we had a lot of fun as usual but all we could find was dinks dinks dinks. saw a lot of small gills on the camera.

the ice was 6" or so.

i had some nice marks suspended at around 8' over 15' but they really werent biting too good. i was thinking they must be nice crappie but couldnt sell them. mostly we fished shallow. around 7'

ended up with a bunch of gills, 3 crappies, and 1 lm bass....but nothing to write home about.

i didnt hardly see any holes, does anyone ever do any good out there through the ice?

2. 7' is DEEP for Hinckley. You must have been up by the dam, there's only one spot that I know of that's 15', and that's by the dam. I've never ice fished there, but I've wanted to for a while. How big was the bass?
    LaDo

3. You're right, we (George) drug the 3 man shanty from the parking lot up the dam wall and fished about 200 yards east (towards the boathouse) from there. Water ranges from 7 to 9 feet about 50 feet from shore.
    What surprised us is that the other side of the lake, about 1/4 mile up from the dam at the wooden platform the water is 17 ft deep only about 100 feet from shore. That's a good bass spot in the summer and I always thought it was shallow there. That must be the channel. Very few people ice fish hinckley lake but I know there's some big bass in there.
    The bass George caught was only about 11 inches even though we did see some that appeared to be much larger but it's hard to tell the size on the camera. The few crappie we caught were 7 to 9 inches and the gills as we expected were dinks. We had a great time though and only minutes away from home. That lake needs more exploring by ice fishermen, I bet we would find where they hang out in the winter.

4. hardwaterfan

The bass was pretty small....maybe 9"?

Hey Lado like you Ive spent a lot of time at this lake in the late 80's early 90's, i used to live real close by....

one thing really suprised me.....you know as you walk along the path on the west side of the lake from the dam towards the boathouse and the path takes a jog away from the lake due to that tiny little bay.....out in front of that bay where there must have been a feeder creek for the original lay of the land, it was about 15' deep about 50'-100' from shore! i was shocked. you can sort of tell where it is by the way the hills are cut through with a valley right there.

thats where i saw the suspended fish. and i remember the old guy with glasses and curly dark hair who used to run the boathouse told me about some nice crappie but that was years ago....

we pretty much stayed away from the dam. there was quite a bit of water going over it.

i used to have my picture in the boathouse with a nice lm bass...

5. hardwaterfan

lol..... :)

we were near the earthen part of the dam along the east shoreline but not near the actual concrete dam area with water running over it. But as i said this wasnt where we found the deepest water.