Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently picked up fishing for cats the past year and a half, and I've heard tales that the lake at Hinckley Reservation has some good size ones lying in wait. But, so far my attempts there have been for not. No cats at all, just the gills I've occasionally caught for bait, a single miniscule goby while fishing for the gills, and I a good size snapping turtle. Just wondering if anyone on here regularly fishes the lake at all and possibly knows whether these stories are accurate?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me, but I have seen what Widget says about the bass. I see them jumping around in the pads pretty much all day long. Might rent a boat for a day with my brother or dad, so we can get into the places with cover

·
Registered
344 Posts
10-15 years ago there were numbers (from stocking) and size. Witnessed a number of fish over 30" caught by the regulars while working at the lake. A couple of the big fish came from below the spill way, but you can't fish there while the beach is open. There was a pic of a 28lber on the wall. Now that the boathouse has changed hands, I'm sure the pictures are gone. I don't think it's stocked any more with cats.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By now, I'm not so much frustrated by the size of the fish, but more so I haven't had any sign that they are in there beside a lady pulling a small one, 12-13" tops, out near the boat launch dock as I was packing my stuff up to leave one morning. And, I've thrown all the usual suspects out there for them to munch on...cut gills, shrimp, livers, even big old wads of crawlers. Just figured I'd have pulled something in by now, big or small. The only big thing I haven't done there yet is gone at dusk. Do any of you know whether the night bite is better than the early morning?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, pics are gone. the boat house got remodeled for the worst. I've spent quite some time on that lake. But my advice to you would be to just screw the lake and fish under the falls after hours. You should score there... I use creek chubs and bluegills. Used whole. Not cut bait.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did try across from the boathouse as it was recommended to me by several people, still got skunked. As for under the falls, obviously haven't hit that spot yet. So, Johio, if I'm understanding this right, it's the area right under where the water flows over top of the dam? I've only been down in that swim/picnic area a handful of times and they were all over a decade ago

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I'm gonna give the lake one last try tonight after work. Got some shrimp and skeeter repellant, so I'm ready to go. If I pull just one kitty out I'll consider it a success, no matter the size.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never made it, got roped into working on wedding planning stuff. Seems to be the one thing that hi jacks my free/fishing time these days hahaha. Nice fish though. Maybe some other night for me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts