Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to Hilton Head this afternoon. We are staying at the Palmetto Dunes. I read all of the posts about hilton head on the forum from the last couple of years and tried most of the ideas today.
I fished the surf tonight with mullet and a 2 oz pyramid sinker. that wasn't enought weight so i had to rig a second 2oz sinker which still wasn't enought to keep it down. about 4 ft of leader down was a piece of mullet, which did come back eaten up a bit, but no fish. I also tried a piece of shripm off the bottom behind our hotel in what appears to be a salt water river. this thing can't be 60ft wide and i am wondering if it is a waste of time. anyways, any help would be much appriciated as i only have a couple of days down here and would love to make the most of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
it costs 5.00 to get a day pass to sea pines, go through the back gate(the one by the ocean) and stay on that road you will pass some tidal lakes fish those with shrimp on the bottom but the first lake you come to on your right has gators real close so be careful but always watch for the gators

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will keep that in mind. I saw my first gator today, only a couple feet long. A bit scarry even though it was small. Any other advice would be appriciated. I did have something try to eat my X-Rap today so that was exciting.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I fished the lagoons around the golf course at Palmetto Dunes a few years ago out of a canoe and did really well. I caught flounder and sea trout. I was using a 1/4 oz. jig head with a 3" white twister tail slowly along the bottom and you could feel the flounder hitting it. The area that I fished the most was just north of the little bridge on the main road that crosses the lagoon. I'm sure if you fished live bait (i.e. shrimp) you would do really well.

I was also told that there is some nice size redfish in these lagoons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts