Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hilliard Pond - Hayden Village Park

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by crankus_maximus, Mar 22, 2005.

1. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I was fishing, or trying to, at Hayden Village Park today. I had to leave becasue I was so disgusted by what i saw. I say a bicycle, tire on a rim, hundreds of cans, cups and bottles, plastic bags, couch cushions, mini blinds and so much other junk I can't remember. This pond looks fishy with all of the cattails growing around the edge, but it is really polluted with all of that garbage.

My dilema:

1. I want to clean it up, as I am embarased, disgusted and pissed off all in one emotion that people would stoop to that level.
    2. Who operates the pond/park? the city of Hilliard?
    3. Do you think they would allow volunteers to clean it up a couple times a year? Do you think they care? Would anybody lend a hand for a couple hours if I can get it worked up?
    4. This isn't a ghetto park, by any means, so I am perplexed as to how it got this bad. Is Hilliard turning a blind eye?

:confused: :confused:
  2. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

There is a large pond here in my development and it is a continual battle to keep it clean. Pataskala doesn't own it so it is up to those of us that live here to clean up the mess.
    Why is it so difficult to take the trash back home and throw it away? I find all the same garbage you mentioned and more. I often wonder what these peoples homes look like.
    You ought to see the stuff I find in the woods left over from deer season or should I say BEER season.
    Good luck we took up a collection to buy trash bags here it got so bad.

i would be willing to help clean it up just let me know what you come up with.and what day you want to start
  4. crankus_maximus

I appreciate it. I am going to start calling tomorrow to find some answers. As I taxpayer and citizen of Hilliard I found it very apalling. A pond, stream, river or lake is not a trash dumpster. Some times I wonder if its kids or adults who really don't know any better.

I'd like to find something that can grab the lighter items from about 10-15 ft away. That way I could go around and get most of the stuff out of the water and up onto the bank where someone esle could bag it. I think the first time would be the worst and a refresher cleanup every so often would help get it back in respectable condition. I don;t even live close to the place and it makes me sick.
  5. Here's an idea
    Contact the local boy scouts and cub scouts they are aways in need of projects to help out on.
    Our scouts do a clean up around Darby creek on occasion gets the kids out they usually have a good time doing it
    You used to also be able to contact the dept of litter and they used to provide trash bags for such cleanups

FINMAN Old Junior Member

not quite sure about the park location in Hilliard, or it's ownership, but if it is indeed a Hilliard public park I volunteer myself and my pick-up to haul stuff away. If it's privately owned and managed, I'll help bitch at the owners :mad: Enlisting a local scout troop is a whale of an idea, too.
  7. crankus_maximus

My next step is to find out who owns and operate the property/pond. Then I will inquire as to why it is in its present condition. Then I will volunteer my services to help clean it up. I'll post some pics after this weekend so you can see how bad it is.
  8. If it's the pond at Cosgray & Scioto-Darby Rds., it's part of a Dominion Homes development. I'm not sure if Dominion owns it or if it's part of the neighborhood association. If Dominion feels it will hurt their public image if they don't & it's really cheap to do it, they may help clean or pay for it. If it is the neighborhood assoc.'s then it's hard to say if they'll help. Dominion's real motto is "Half of Everything"* so they will only help if it helps them make $$$.

*This is only my opinion, formed through years of dealing w/ them, not grounds for a lawsuit.
  9. crankus_maximus

This pond is on the corner of Avery and Hayden Run (I think) - right across from the High School. There is a little pavilion and a small parking lot.
  10. nomore3putts

nomore3putts AddictiveFish'n TV Addict

Crankus -

I think you mean Davidson & Avery... Worth cleaning up, when I lived in Hilliard a few years back my middle son (8 yrs old then), caught a serious BlueGill (10-11") in there. He was thrilled and I was shocked. It qualified for a FishOH award before I even knew what that was!
  11. you might consider taking pictures and submitting them to the Dispatch or local paper and maybe some one will see this and be just as embarrassed because it is their property and maybe start cleaning it up. If it is the City of Hilliard's property they might not know that it is like that. :rolleyes: Well that will be their excuse. It's worth a shot. Maybe the boy scouts or cub scouts around there will read the article and clean it up before you have to go to them. You could even have them mention the day or what ever you plan to have the "clean" and maybe more people will show up than you think.
  12. You can check who owns the pond at this link

I think you meant Davidson and Avery, in which case it's owned by the City of Hilliard. I'm not familiar with the area, so check it out. Just select the Property Map (GIS) option and then search by intersection. The site has a pretty easy map interface.

It's a damned shame when resources go to waste like that.

Good luck getting the city to clean it up. Count me in if you end up planning a clean-up operation on your own.
  13. crankus_maximus

I sent an e-mail to the City of Hilliard Parks Director asking if I can volunteer for the pond cleanup. We'll see how far that goes. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.
  14. BIGG MAN

i seen hillard city crew cleaning up the pond today
  15. crankus_maximus

Last Thursday I sent an e-mail to the director of Parks and Recreation asking how I could help out with the clean up effort. I expressed my concern for the non-normal junk in the water, etc. I also volunteered to organize the cleanup effort.

Monday afternoon I received an e-mail from the director of Parks and Recreation and I was informed that the pond would be cleaned up on Tuesday, weather permitting. In addition, I was told that on April 23rd there is a general Hilliard cleanup day that i could get involved in, if I would like.

Yesterday afternoon I thought I would swing by for an hour or so to see how things looked. I was amazed that a vast majority of the junk and garbage was cleaned up. There were a few plastic bags towards the middle they probably couldn't reach from shore. I proceded to snag what I could and dispose of them properly.

Overall, I was satisfied with the City of Hilliard's response to my concerns as a citizen and outdoorsman. Thank you, everyone else, for your shared support and spirit of volunteerism. I will most likely be attending the cleanup effort on the 23rd if anyone would like to join. Thanks!