close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High water messing river up again!

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by nlcatfish, May 1, 2016.

1. Looks like with river going up to around 35 ft. I won't be able to go for catfish for some time. I am not sure if the Skipjacks will be showing up along the river anywhere either. Just seems that whenever the river gets almost settled down the rains comes and fishing suffers. Hopefully I can get out on the river sometime this month.

2. Been the story the last 2 years ain't it

3. Typical springtime on the river. Although it seems they have held the Meldahl pool down lower than normal this spring.

4. Bite been decent the last two weeks for catfish. Try to get out if you can Norb.

5. You're looking at it the wrong way, high water concentrates the fish you just gotta go find them. Get away from the main stem of the river. Get a fresh bucket of nightcrawlers and have fun!

Doboy likes this.
  6. cady well said think ill stick to cut bait tho .

7. They have been working on Greenup, so I've heard. Hence the low water up there.

8. montagc

montagc Always an inch shy

What he said. Go fish inside a creek mouth or embayment. My bro's been killing channels in the backwaters.

9. I fish from my boat for catfish,so the river has to get DOWN and not fast current for me to be out there. I am an old guy so climbing around steep banks is not longer an option. And the rains will be here most of this week again!! once again looks like June before I get on the river.

Bigfisherman likes this.
  10. o_O no one said fish the main channel adjust to the conditions. here is what you have to look forward to after 9 days or so blues will spawn so there goes half of what your fishing for

Salmonid likes this.
  11. I just do not get out on the river when it is over 31 feet and current faster than 2 mph. I can wait for it to settle down.

Bigfisherman likes this.
  12. montagc

montagc Always an inch shy

Can you put in on the Licking or LMR

13. I only fish the Ohio River and when it is up I stay home.