high stcking, deadly for small waters.

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Patricio, Apr 14, 2008.

1. I generally hightick all of the smaller streams I fish. its my method. here's a primer.
    High Sticking
    Put on a fairly long leader 8 to 9 feet in length, with a terminal diameter of 2, 3 or 4X. Remember to size the leader to your fly. Tie your fly on with a Duncan loop. You want to use a Duncan loop so that the fly will have good movement in the water. Find some broken water. You're looking for boulders, logs, outcroppings and fairly fast water. The eddies behind these stream features often create the much sought after prime lie, or pocket. Depth for protection from birds, shelter from the current and a steady supply of food. Now get as close as you can (remaining downstream and to the side) and drop that fly as far above the pocket as you can without missing the pocket. Drift your fly through the pocket, raising your arm as the fly comes downstream and dropping your arm as the fly drifts below you. If you're working with more than 10 to 15 feet of line outside your tip-top you've got to much line out. Try to keep all of your line off the water. Now pick your line up and do it again and again and again. Try different angles and depths. I try to drift a pocket at least five times. Don't forget to hang on, when they hit they hit hard.

2. Flyfish Dog

Flyfish Dog Banned

:) ! I love high sticking also . During the hot summer people fish the flat deep water and wonder why they catch that many fish or none at all but not me! I hit all the pockets and rapids for smallies and trouts. Action tends to be fast and hit hard which is my kind of fun. I usually will not see many people at all fishing the faster water, I was one of them at first then accidently let a #8 stimilator float thru a fast pocket and huge brown came out and grabbed and just popped my 4x tippet. Got my attention right there so I changed my tastics after that and my fish catching production went up.

3. Of flies are you using? Adding any weight?

Dan

4. I always get nervous about approaching that closely to holding structure... So even if you're wading, you're only about 10 feet away?

I'm also assuming you're using a pretty heavily weighted fly if you're targetting the bottom of the run?

5. not usually. the rod is 9ft, I have 10-20ft of line out and I use a 9ft leader and about 4ft of tippet material. also I seldom step foot in the water while fishing. on smaller streams, there is no need to.

as for weighted flies, yeah, I use wooly buggers and nymphs this way. and no, I dont add extra weight to the line. you need direct contact with the fly, so the strikes are felt.

6. Utard

Utard

Absolutely killer technique.

High-sticking was by far my most preferred method of fishing the Rocky Mt. streams back home. What makes this technique easy is that you're fishing (as stated) broken water where the fish feel more comfortable because they're have cover. The good thing is, not only does that "cover" protect the fish from predators, it also protects you from being seen or discovered by the fishies. This is by far the best way to get a perfect dead drift as well! The same technique works well when dry fly fishing too.

7. Thanks guys, I'll have to practice this more this season.