close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

High price parking$$$$$Wow!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewis, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Drivers Pay Big For Rare Boston Parking Spots Reply

Drivers Pay Big For Rare Boston Parking Spots
    Brimmer Street Garage Spots Fetch $160,000

POSTED: 6:33 pm EDT April 14, 2004
    UPDATED: 6:55 pm EDT April 14, 2004

BOSTON -- In the old days, Boston's rich were known as the landed gentry. Today, however, their wealth is measured in parking spaces.

NewsCenter 5's Janet Wu reported that drivers can expect to pay about $160,000 for coveted parking space in Beacon Hill's Brimmer Street garage.

The garage is the only place in the upscale neighborhood where drivers can buy a guaranteed parking space. There are some restrictions, however, vehicles like Chevrolet's Tahoe, Ford's Expedition and Hummers are not allowed because they are too big.

Last summer the price for a spot topped out at $167,000 -- and that does not include taxes of about $800 a year and condo fees of $162 a month.

"It's worth every penny. It's fabulous. Great service -- I think it is perfect. I wouldn't want to be in this neighborhood without this garage," said parking space owner Dale Mudge.

There are some benefits offered to parking space owners, including a heated garage, valet parking and even two hours of guest parking. Drivers can even gas up at the garage for $2.06 a gallon. It may appear a little pricey, but as one owner put it, if you park at this garage, cheap gas isn't a priority.

"There are only so many places in the city to park, so this is just an investment -- just like in real estate," Astrid Muller.

When the garage first went condo in 1979 and a space cost just $6,500, some called the concept ridiculous, but drivers disagree.

"We'll pay anything for a parking place," said one Beacon Hill resident.

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Thats unreal, at least you wouldn't have to worry about someone dinging you car doors.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Those people are unbelievable snobs out there. I work out there every other week and it does not surprise me that there are people out there who would pay that much for so little. Stupid people - arrogant - stupid people. :rolleyes:

4. and I agree with you. The people around Beacon Hill are the most arrogant I have ever met. I grew up on the South Shore of Boston, on the ocean and used to hate to go to Boston.

:D But, I grew up fishing everyday.