Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering your thoughts about this- In my usual kayak launch point on the river, I have two ways home. I usually go home the way I came, but the last couple times, I have taken the "scenic" route, and have zig-zagged through a neighborhood just as a change of scenery on the way home.

The last two times I have gone, I drive by a house that has a machine by the mailbox that omits an annoyingly high-pitched sound commonly known today as the "mosquito frequency". It is a frequency that most people over 25 cannot hear as our hearing tends to decline at that point. The point is to deter loitering kids, and many stores in other countries have adopted this as a anti-loitering method.

Its just crazy to me as this is a nice neighborhood and I know there are families with kids that live in that area, but there certainly aren't any problems. You can hear it a good 200 feet from their house, about 3 homes down. I'm 26 and have pretty good hearing, but if that thing was continuously blaring around my house, those people would get a friendly conversation about it at first. If things didn't change, we would have to see what's next.

What do you guys think about their "mosquito frequency"?

·
no boat
603 Posts
... so you didn't catch anything, blaming it on a mailbox? that's a new one to me lol

·
Double lunger
1,560 Posts
If it would deter the mailman from dropping off bills I would be all for it.

If the point is just to be an A and keep kids away I have a problem with that. I never did understand the "I am more important or I am better than you mentality"

·
5,997 Posts
If its legal and on their property I say its no one elses business. Lot of place could use them. But if its true you can hear from two hundred feet it may be illegal. Here in Salem if you can hear a radio off your property or 75 feet its illegal.
But i grew up in a time people took care of their own business. So if kids don't live in that 200 feet id say no foul. Walk another direction or take a different street.
But if i had kids growing up in that ear shot area. That unit would quit working or disappear. No use in talking as they know what their doing.

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Maybe its to keep dogs from peeing on their grass?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the people who live at the house. They definitely have their noses high in the air. Not sure if it is for dogs or for kids. They do have one of those perfectly manicured yards, so it could be dogs. I know there is a family that lives across the street with kids. I just can't think that its legal to do that since their house is clearly in the sound radius. Overall, legal or not, it just seems like a really selfish thing to do.

By the way, its not the mailbox making the sound ;) haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts