close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hi from Australia, be there soon!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AusDave, May 24, 2007.

1. Hi Guys,

My name is Dave and I'm from Western Australia, I am into all types of fishing and thought I'd check out the fishing in Ohio as I will be over that way on a Business Trip in July. First trip out of Australia actually!!
    It looks like you have some good fishing over there and I would be keen to drop a line in, I was wondering if you could tell me of any good guides that I might be able to book a day of fishing with???
    I will be staying in Sharonville for 3 weeks (Is this close to any good spots???)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Dave

2. I'm from the NE part of Ohio, but maybe some of our Ohio River anglers could hook you up.

Welcome to the OGF and I hope you can wet a line when you're in town!

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Ah, gee...! Are you referring to Sharonville, Ohio as in the Cincinnati area...? If so, who'd you tick off...! :D All the way from Downunder and of all places to windup...that really bites. ;)
    On a serious note...if in fact you're talking SW Ohio, and you will be here for 3weeks, I'd head north. I would rent a car and drive 3-4 hours to lake Erie or lake Michigan and jump on a charter boat.
    Or you could go south to Kentucky and try Striper fishing.
    I'm within a mile of Sharonville and travel it while out for lunch on occasion. If you don't mind the asking, what business/company will you be here visiting?

4. I'm visiting GE in Springdale for Gas Turbine training, My Hotel is in Sharonville (Is it really that bad :( ???)

I'm also interested in having a look around Ohio, like a tour, to see some of your country and to make this trip seem not so work like!!

Thanks for your replies

5. Hook N Book

Ha...! What a coincedent. I use to work right across the street from that training facility. Actually, the area itself is not bad, in fact it's very nice...I was referring to the fishing in the Sharonville area. The only thing I know of in that area is Sharon woods which is a county park. Not much difference for Springdale either.
    So what type of fishing are you interested in...Inland lakes, rivers or the great lakes...???

6. I don't really know, I have limited experience in freshwater fishing, I live near the ocean here so I mainly fish Saltwater Species.
    I've never been bass fishing, I'd love to do that! But I wont be able to take any of my tackle with me so I have to either book a guide or find someone to take me out!
    I'd love to see the great lakes, I will have a hire vehicle, but I'm not sure about driving on the wrong side of the road just yet! Ha Ha

7. Yeah, I guess that would be sort of a problem...:D

It's about a 4 hour drive to Lake Erie... There's some great bass fishing down closer to where you are... C'mon SW guys! Let him know where he can find some good fishing!

Heck, if you could make it up to the Akron area, I'd take you out bass fishing... I have all the gear too.

8. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

I agree that Erie is the place to go to experience Ohio's best fishing hands down.

Don't send him down south any further, we want him to have a good impression of our country. :D

9. Hook N Book

Big Daddy,
    Since he said the B-word...I'm sure that will open things up for him. :D

AusDave, I sent you a PM too.

10. Hook N Book

Say what...! He's already destined for a three week stay in God's country. :D

11. hey ausdave im in sharonville for a few days visiting some friends, ill check on some areas around here that might save you a trip. But on another note ill be in australia in a few weeks for training and was thinking about doing some fishing while i was there, any suggestions for me? ill be living in the rockhampton/brisbane area.

12. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

i sent you a private message ausdave.

13. I just posted a link for Twelve Volt Man for some fishing spots in Australia but they didnt show up, I hope thats not against the rules, is it?

14. hey ausdave thanks for the link it worked for me, and it looks like there are some fishing spots right around where i'll be.

15. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Maybe someone could hook him up with a weekend at Recreationland.
    Lots of fish and some nice country around there, I'm sure he would remember that for years to come!!

16. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

Hey AusDave. I would be willing to take you to ReCreation Land in southeast ohio. I can get you an extra float tube and do some great Bass fishing. It's primitive camping but we eat steak and bluegills every night. It's probley the most peaceful place in ohio. I can get you into a mess of nice bass and gills.
    This is what I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

It's a wonderful place to fish and be lazy on a weekend. Let me know the weeks your going to be here and we will hook up with some friends and do some fishing.

17. Recreation Land, sounds like a Theme Park ha ha!
    And thats the first time Ive seen anyone fish from a Tyre Tube :)
    That sounds great FishJunky, I love camping as well, but I wont have any of my own gear!

I'll be there from the 11th July to the 2nd of August, I'll have the weekends free to do stuff, so it basically comes down to choosing "which one" and "who with" to go fishing. You've all been great to me, cheers!

That Recreation Land sounds bloody good though! :) Do you have anymore pics of it?

18. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

AusDave, Welcome to OGF and the States! You should check out a weekend on Erie for the best walleye fishing in the world. AEP rec land is also really cool. In spite of the risk of going further south, if you want to tie into a nice musky, you should take a weekend and head to Cave Run Lake in Kentucky...it is only an hour or so from where you will be staying...plenty of guides down there to hook you up...not too sure about the fishing at that time of the year, but if you hook into one of those beast, you will remember it for the rest of your life...on another note, fresh water fish do not fight like saltwater fish so you may already be spoiled...what kind of fish do you catch down under?
    Good luck on your trip up here!

Tight Lines and G'day Mate!

19. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Here's the link to an Ohio Power/AEP Recreationland website
    http://www.ohiopowerbass.com/
    Check it out, it's a cool place and FishJunky can certainly put you on fish,
    he even has the "secret" lure:D