close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hey SHAKE, what about REEL LADY? "Idea"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capt.Muskey, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

Shake, or any owners,

I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not but,
    Here's my Question:
    Can we at OGF help sponser Reel Lady in the Womans BassMasters?
    I think she'd look pretty cool out there in a OGF shirt, or at least an OGF patch on.
    I know we couldn't help with the money part as much as some of the bigger sponsers, BUT we could set up a fund to donate what we can, Couldn't we?
    Also, We could help with extra information on the lakes she'll be fishing. We all have fishing friends in other states who fish the same waters the BassMasters fish. But on a weekly or daily basis. We could provide Information, tackle, maps, and whatever money we might collect to help with expenses.
    How often does one of our own get an oppurtunity like this???
    I'm sure it would add to Reel Lady's confedence level, Knowing that the whole state of Ohio has her back, win or lose, She'll always be one of us.
    She has the Drive and Motovation, Determination, and Ability. Can't we be the Support? Just an Idea, I know I'd like to help somehow.
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks, JD :D

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

We've actually been talking behind the scenes as to what we could do to give RL OGF's support, and I think you have presented a GREAT idea. We haven't talked with Marcia about it yet, but I would think that conversation would be coming soon.

If and when we can come up with something that Marcia would be cool with, we will definitely pass it on to you guys. Regardless, my hat's off that you guys are willing to support a fellow OGF'r like that. It's a great potential opportunity for all involved, and the idea that you guys are amped to support her unsolicited, is a testament to the "family" we've all become a part of.

Marcia, any thoughts on this initially?

3. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

:eek: Yes actually....I'm truly touched by this gesture. Borderline speechless actually. I seriously am in awe that a simple website has the power to bring people together in the way that my experience here on OGF has done for me. Honestly, I feel very close with so many of you. Without the existance of OGF, I would have never had the opportunity to meet people (and many of them) that share the same passion(s) as me. And being that both of my parents are deceased (Dad died when i was 6 and my Mom passed away when I was 21), I particularly cherrish the connections that I have made with some of the...lets just say older/wiser members. :eek: Okay, so now that the mushy stuff is out of the way (sorry, it's a "girl" thing :rolleyes: )
    Now, let's talk about a subject that really makes me squirm. I will be as candid as I can, but just understand that I am a very proud person who definitely takes pride in being self sufficient, so this whole subject is definitely a bit awkward for me to talk about. Yes.. Money... Sponsorship....etc...
    I have been informed that to enter these tournaments it will cost me aproximately 3000.00 per event. If I were to enter as a boater, the cost would be aproximately 5000.00. These figures include Transportation/Airfare, Food, Lodging, and Entry Fees. I will also be missing 1 week a month of work for 6 months out of the year for travel, prefishing and tournament.
    Those are the figures just for participating in the Tourneys. The next thing is my tackle situation. I currently own 3 Rod/Reel combinations. I really need at least 2 more setups, but preferably 3. I have 3 Quantum Energy PTI20 Reels, all on G. Loomis Rods. These reels are not large enough to handle the thicker line that I will need to fish some of these lakes. I think that the Energy PTI30's would be better suited because they have a bigger spool. I need lots of terminal tackle (hooks, weights, etc.), Bait (both hard and soft), Lots of fishing line (all different kinds for various fishing conditions), Sospenders, Something to transport my Rods/reels in, good polarized sunglasses, rain wear, cold weather gear, etc....the list can go on.....
    So between all of my actual Tourney expenses and the Tackle and supplies that I will need, this is definitely not going to be a cheap adventure. I guess I had no idea what type of expenses I was getting into until I actually started talking to people that do this for a living.
    Between Rob and I, we have 5 children. Zach started college last year, Nathan is starting next month, next year Seth will start, the year after that Brad will start, and then finally the baby (Hanna) will start the year after Brad. Yikes! 5 kids x 5 Colleges X 5 cars....= Yikes! Don't even want to go there!!!!! :-0
    So to answer your question regarding financial sponsorship....honestly.... as hard as it is for me to talk about this, I would appreciate it more than you could imagine.
    Many many sincere "Thank you's" to my OGF family :eek:
    Marcia
    P.S. Here is my Tournament Schedule...

Women's Bassmaster Tournament

Sam Rayburn,Tx.(Preview event): Oct. 20-22
    Toledo Bend, La.: March 16-18
    Neeley Henry Lake, Ala.: April 20-22
    Lewisville Lake, Texas: May 18-20
    Lake Norman, N.C.: July 27-29
    Lake Dardanelle, Ark.: Aug. 24-26

4. Sounds like somebody needs to play the lottery :) Man thats alot of money to fish.30 grand just for this year!!!!!!!!

5. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I too would be willing to help out in anyway possible, She has my Full support & Just let me know what I can do to help you out more. Your one Class Act Reel Lady, Its great you have this chance in your life to do this. I envy you so much its not funny. Congrats & Good Luck !
    Cat Mazter

6. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Reel Lady,
    Those are some really big numbers. Just a thought here.
    I realize you had made mention of the possibility of having some sponsors, so I just wanted to throw this out there.
    Have you contacted any of the tackle manufacturers to see if they'd be willing to sponsor you either fully or partially? They could even offer discounted merchandise in exchange for some type of publicity...(say a patch here one there, you know). Might be worth a try.

7. That is a good idea Hook! It sounds like Quantum and G.Loomis owe her already.;)

8. Reel Lady

To answer your question....Yes, I have contacted several "fishing related" companies regarding sponsorship. I just completed my "Tournament Anglers Pro-Staff/Sponsorship" resume and will be sending them out in the next couple of days.
    Here is what I learned about sponsorship...evidently there is alot of Politics involved. What that means is that I cannot have 2 competing comanies as my sponsor, even though I might happen to LOVE both of their products. For instance... I LOVE Berkley Gulp, but I also LOVE Lake Fork tubes. I LOVE my quantum reels, but also love Rob's Shimano Stradic (that he's letting me use for the tourneys) I love my DT crankbaits, but also love my Baby minus series from Mann's. From what I have read and heard, it is best not to approach multiple companies that offer similiar products at the same time.
    I am definitely going to try to fill in some of my "Tackle Voids" through sponsorship. I know that these larger sponsors are more likely to supply me with product then they would be for the actual costs for fishing in the tournament. Although that's not to say that it can't happen, I just know that it will be a little more difficult to obtain cash versus product.
    But, here is a little dilemma, well, potential dilemma anyway...
    I don't ever want to be put in a position where I would be expected to "Sell" something that I don't have faith in. I may sound foolish, but I would turn down sponsorship from a company if I thought that their products were inferior... regardless of the money involved. Therefore, if I do get sponsorships, it will be from companies that I have faith in and USE their product (and companies that I have personally paid alot of money to by purchasing their product! lol) I've heard of terrible stories of these pro's catching fish on one type of lure, but when asked by the media what they won this tournament on, these pro fisherman would lie and say that they caught it on the lure of the company that sponsors them. There is no way that I could ever do this.. no way...To me, that would be like selling my soul...I'll pass. I just want to fish my best, and promote the products/companies that I believe in. Besides, me promoting something that I love just comes naturally, so to me, that would definitely not be any type of tedious job. Heck, you can ask anyone that I have ever met out on the water if I had asked them if they ever visited OGF. Business cards would sure be nice!!!!! (hint hint :) ) Reel Lady...Official OGF Spokesperson... that has a nice ring to it don't you think? :D
    Now, getting back to the other stuff...Being that all of these tournaments are held in the southern portion of the US, this means that my travel expenses will be considerably more then those who live down there. The price of gasoline is outrageous to say the least...Boy, a northern Bassmasters series would sure be nice!!!!
    Kinda off subject a bit but I just wanted to share with you that Channel 3 just contacted me to do a story on my involvement with Women's Bassmaster Tour. They will be taking pictures and videotaping me tomorrow (Tuesday) on my boat (and hopefully catching fish :B ) around 5:30 at Portage Lakes, and then I will be interviewed again (on my boat) at Mosquito Lake on Monday August 29 around 11:30. The story should air Monday at 6:00, and then again on Tuesday the 30th.
    I also will be appearing on Channel 5 news at noon on Wednesday August 31 during their "Special guest" segment.
    Somebody pinch me!!!!!

9. ShakeDown

Mention OGF on the air, and Carl says he'll tattoo "REEL LADY ROCKS" on his forehead :D

Sounds sweet Marcia. With any luck, we'll get a copy of your TV spots and put em on the site for those of us non-northerners to gawk at.

10. Reel Lady

Oh my.....That is TOO FUNNY! Thanks for that great visual! lol

11. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I gotta see this...! PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE... mention OGF! :D

12. Brandon, I have a spot that has more room on it for such tattooing... :D

Yes, I'll be shooting most of the video tomorrow evening at Portage Lakes for the TV 3 story. The reporter who is doing the interviewing next week is Jennifer Murphy.

We'll get you some air time Marcia. Plus, for the rest of you, I'll get them to post the story on wkyc.com so you can all see Marcia in action!

13. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

Me and tritonbill will be in the background...you want me to flash the camera? I'll put OGF on my stomache real BIG!

14. ShakeDown

Carl/Johnboy, I must have typed 50 different comebacks for that, only to end up deleting them all :D

That took me to a dark place guys.

15. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

"That took me to a dark place guys."

Now why doesn't that surprise me at all? :confused: :D

16. Capt.Muskey

Hey Guys,
    All of us work for different companies and know people who own or work for different companies. Can't we try to help find sponsors for Reel Lady? Or do all the sponsors NEED to be fishing related? What about boat dealerships? or Outboard Motor companies? Outboard oil? GanderMountain? Mcdonalds? BP? Whatever???
    I have a few friends and relitives that own or run differents places, I'm working on them now. I'm sure with a little effort, We could all come up with a possible sponsor or two.
    As for the Tackle she needs, I only wish I owned a bait store! I'd be sending it by now.

17. Capt.Muskey

OK, just talked to a friend at work who also runs a local dating web site, He said he'd give $500 if Marcia wore a site logo. Hey it's a start.
    Also, my Brother owns a nurses uniform company in Akron, I'll talk to him tomorrow.
    How much could be charged for a sponsor patch on a shirt? or hat? and would that kind of thing be ok? :confused:

18. Marcie here is a suggestion that might seem to be a little out there but here it out before you go shaking your head. Find a sponsor that is not a fishing company and one that pertains to the audience that would not be watching bass fishing. I am willing to guess BASS is doing this to get to the women and men who are not watching. I suggest a clothing store or cosmetics. I am not being rude and I am not trying to be offensive. You have what few of the tournament anglers have, good looks. I know that you are not trying to sell yourself with your looks but with your fishing. I am just saying BASS has had its very own “Bachelor”, proof looks work even in the fishing world. You in a nice pair of shorts or other clothing laying down on the deck holding up a nice bass would get most peoples attention. Once again I am not trying insult you just giving out an idea. Look for some sponsors that are not typically going to be at a weigh-in. Guess jeans, Mary Kay, etc. you name it the possibilities are numerous and out there. I believe that you will make it just on your fishing and I also believe there are sponsors out there for you.

19. Reel Lady

Walter...
    Me? take offense to your suggestions??? No way! I'm flattered by your compliments.
    I do have in my game plan to approach non-fishing related companies for sponsorship. My pro-staff/sponsorship resume is finally complete and ready to be sent out. I think that approaching cosmetics company's was a great idea.. thank you...
    Well, off to work I go....
    Marcia