close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hey King!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rob, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

I know we talked about it a couple of weeks ago, but in the May/June of Crappie World Magazine on page 42 is an insert on how to identify White and Black Crappie. You were right dude, the way to identify them is to count the spines in the dorsal fin, and it goes on to say that Black Crappie can be pale...especially in dingy water. Sounds kinda like Cowan huh?

My bad!!!

Rob

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

5-6 White
    7-8 Black

(for those that don't know :) )

3. Interesting find Rob. If I remember, those fish I caught that day all had 6 spines. But man, were they dark in color.

4. Last week I was at Cowan and (after seeing your post) was counting the spines also. I thought the same thing, all had six and were pretty dark, except for 1 which was pretty light in color and it had 7. Sounds backwards.

5. Rob

Rob Crappietracker

You know... I THOUGHT all I ever caught out of Cowan where the pale (white) Crappies, and I never knew about the spines so I never counted BUT the last time we were there, we did get some darker spotted Crappie. Well, that's what I get for thinking. Oh well, better stop thinking, and start counting. I learn somthing new every day!

Rob