close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hey Blance, It's my turn

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Doctor, May 8, 2005.

1. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Well I tagged a telephone pole on the river last night, here's the damage.

[​IMG]

2. I must have missed the pole but I think I hit everything else that was floating out there.

3. ouch, I feel your pain man. Have you given any thought to what you're gonna do? I've been waffling back and forth between taking $1500 of the $3000 we have saved for a kicker and replacing the lower unit and just going ahead and getting the kicker and running it since with the kicker I'd atleast have some other form of propulsion if it decides to let loose. Vickie is of course no help since she says she's not going to have anything to do with that decision. I guess I got lucky and changed my lower unit oil last week and there was no water in it. Figure I might be able to get a few bucks out of my old gear box to help offset the cost if I do decide to replace it. I went ahead and ran it all weekend up in NY without any issue. Made me a little nervous since the southern basin of Lake Chautauqa is pretty shallow and full of obstructions according to my map card. Of course I was worrying about every little noise I heard from the motor and the couple times the kid I was with wanted to make the 16 mile run up to the 86 bridge and back caused me some concern. But, she held together fine. Only smacked bottom once when trying to beach near our cabin. I have noticed about a 1 or 2 MPH loss off my top end since my accident. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little more pitch. :D

On the bright side I did catch my new personal best smallmouth while walleye fishing with shiners on one of the many rock piles on the southern end of the lake. Was a blast fighting it on my little 5 1/2 foot rod with 10lb line. Once we got it in the boat it measuered out at 18.5" on the tape measure, but didn't have anything to weigh him with since I left my Boga at home. Too bad it was raining all morning and I left the camera back in the cottage. Poor kid I took out with me got skunked and to top it had a blow out in the pants part of Vickies rain gear. She ain't never gonna let him live that down lol.

Barry

4. Doctor

I talked to some boating guys on another board and they said that the only thing it will affect is the holeshot, they told me to trim it up and round it off, that part is out of the water after the boat gets up on plane, I checked for cracks and never found anything so those are my plans at this point in time.

5. A metal fab shop may be able to repair it?

6. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

Doc, I've got to ask. Did the hull hit the pole too? I can't figure out how the front of the anti-cav plate hit it without the hull hitting it too. But I bet you could get LakeRaider to hook you up on repairing it if you asked him.

7. Doctor

Nope never felt it hit, just came up between the boat and motor and shut us down, we were going past a barge when it happened so my thinking is the barge kicked it up and maybe it was bobbing up and down when i ran over it.

8. glade your still running and every ones ok

9. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Me thinks a welder that's proficent with welding cast aluminum could weld a piece in there and grind that puppy down to the point where it's not even noticeable. It appears it was a relatively clean shear and shouldn't cause any major performance issues.