Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a strickly Saugeye/Smallmouth angler I never really got into Crappie. Then one day last year I was-en route to my S-eye hole and came across a guy laying into slabs. For the next three weeks we proceeded to fish the same stretch of shoreline and absolutely slay Crappie: every/every other cast would produce a strike. It was almost like fishing for white bass, the action was non-stop for hours on end!

So come mid April I started to drool: The Crappie are coming soon! But for whatever reason they haven't returned to the same strech of shoreline (yet). I've been down there 4 times in the last 2 weeks, skunked each time. My buddy went down there tonight and managed 5 in like 2 hours...This time last year we shoud have got close to 40+ an hour...

So I ask the Pro's...Are they just not shallow yet (find that hard to belive..but im no Crappie expert) Are is it that Crappie don't necc. return to the same spawning grounds year after year???

BTW the shoreline in question is located in Griggs res....Shakedown you fish Griggs quite a bit: are the Crappie still suspended? are have they moved shallow yet? I wan't some slabs damit! lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
My dad was On alum yesterday and caught 40 nice sized Crappie lots of 10's and a few 12's They were shallow. He was there early w/o a bite and at 11 am they turned on on a shallow cove. Less than 4 feet.....It was the first time he's ever ran outta minnows !

I think as the water heats up they are Not always shallow and not always deep ? Hows that for vague ?!

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
I have only been out a couple of times so far this year on my regular lake and what I have found is that they are staging in different areas this year. I attribute the change to the constant winds out of the east that we had the last couple of weeks. One of the biggest factors in finding springtime crappie is finding the warmer water and the warmer water is controlled somewhat by the winds. The wind will blow the warm surface water across the lake to the windblown shore and the result of this is pulling up the cooler water on the opposite side. We struggled to find a consistent bite the one evening until we hit a shoreline on the west side of the lake and in previous years I don't even frequent this area until later in the year. The fish usually have been on the east shoreline and the north end of the lake where it is shallower. I have had no luck in the north end thus far. Everything has been mid-lake.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,141 Posts
They'll be there. With 80 degree temps for many days in a row they are just starting to venture shallow. I got into a few up north a ways last night. The next 6 to 10 days will be some awesome fishing!

CG

·
Boat Poor Bank Fisher
110 Posts
I was Hoover on Tuesday and was catching them non stop in 3-7'. A lot of smaller ones yet, but about 15 that went 10-13". I also had the same thing at Alum on Saturday. These were all in protected coves and around submerged timber. Hope it helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,925 Posts
Misfit might have some answers :confused:

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
Misfit might have some answers
after tuesday,i'm not sure about that:eek:

bkr had one good theory that i think does hold true.crappies also don't all move at once,and always show in the same places from day to day.they are still movin out of the deep,but they can be found shallow also,in varying locations..
a good example the comparison of tuesday's results by traylor trash and newbreed and myself.he apparently found them where he was,but we couldn't get on them.the places we fished had produced pretty good results for me on a couple previous trips,but were dead on tuesday.these are usually very good spots at this time,but i think the weather changes may have completely opposite effects on different parts of the lake.another factor that may come into play is gar and catfish.gar were breaking water everywhere tuesday.it's possible they and/or channel cats were in the areas we fished,which will push the crappies out.i've experiemced that in the past,in the areas we fished.been slaying crappies only to have them shut down.then notice the cats and gar suddenly becoming active in the area.

·
Super Moderator
3,925 Posts
You should have gave me the ok to tear into a gar rick.
although that would probably be a bit much for my arm injury.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
i told you to toss a minnie in at them.but i don't know if your arm could have taken it either,LOL.

·
Registered
321 Posts
OK Misfit & BKR is right on This is from the old guy on here HA HA! fished last Thursday did pretty good then me and my buddy fished yesterday did better.The fish are still staging and mostly still swimming around looking for a place to spawn the are not on ther beds yet just move around a bit.The majic temp is 70 Deg. which it is a couple feet down.The nigt time cool temps and kool breazes is having a affect now also the wind is changeing directions alot right now.The water is still a little cool south of the Baldrige Ramp.So if you want them i would say go get em just move around in the bays... Good Fishin Fishguy

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
I have learned over the years that the crappie can be unpredictable in where they are from day to day or at least with a few days in between. Because of this I always try to convince myself to move around frequently until I locate them rather than beating up one area for a couple of fish. Often times I end up finding them after no more than 4-5 stops and with each stop I try to determine what may be drawing them to that area or why they may not be there. I think that the temperature is so important early in the year and I keep a close watch on my FF's reading. The other day I was out and we found a few fish but nothing like a fast bite so I decided to move on and when I headed up the lake I watched the temp drop by nearly 3°. I pulled up on a spot that is usually a sure thing this time of the year but I just had a bad feeling from the start because of the temperature. Well we didn't spend more than maybe 15-20 minutes in the area and I decided to make a move back down the lake. We did end up finding them down the lake where the temperature was higher.

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
I've been out on Hoover about 5 times this year. Early on I did well in the deep water on the western side. Catching some 10+ in 25 fow. Went back to that spot a couple of times without any success. Moved shallow as the water was warmer and could not find them. Just dinks. I have not been able to figure them out at all this year. Was out last night on the eastern side in a cove and couldn't manage much. Got a funny feeling about saugeye. It was dusk and the light wind was pushing some waves into the cove so I threw on a rat l trap and ended up catchin a couple eyes. Small, but any time I'm able to catch eyes (not often) it puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Keep an eye on that spot, it may turn on pretty quick. I've been grinding at them since April 1, and it's been tough on the river so far. All the normal spots have been slow, until now. It's on.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
This is from the old guy on here
i'll leave that one alone:D :D

even with warm water temps,the fish are moving in and out.surface temps on tuesday were averaging high 60's to low 70's.one thing i've noticed with the back and fort weather is the yo yo barometer.i just checked 3 times this morning and it went from falling to steady to rising:confused:
we can't get a decent string of stable conditions,which is a key to bringing the fish shallow.they do come in,but only for short periods.barometer goes up.....fish move out.we hit a minimum of at least 6 spots in different sections of the lake on tuesday,that have been giving up fish,and only found a few small ones on one spot.i am confident eneough though,that if we'd had a full day to fish,we would eventually found some active fish.didn't hit the first spot till almost 2:00.we fished minnies, jigs/tubes,twisters,roadrunners,spinners in various colors/patterns,so they did have many choices,but just weren't there.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
acklac, i think i know where you are talking about. i fish Griggs alot from boat and shore and they just haven't moved in yet. Last year at this time I was slyaing also but have yet to really get into them. After this week they should move in the same places you were getting them last year. I'm waiting myself.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not sure about other lakes, but I fished Hoover after work last night. I started in 8 ft. of water and had a few sluggish bites. Did this for about an hour and had 2 to show for it. Then I bit the bullet and decided to move shallow and lose a few jigs (lost six). I caught 20+ in about 2 hours in 4 ft of water and less. This time included me retying jigs. Lots of dinks, but 12 keepers 9-12 inches. They were holding tight on cover and not chasing anything. Had to go get 'em.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess the next week should be make it or break it time for the Crappie? However looking back I was already catching when they were suspened off-shore..Then blasted them once they came super-shallow..No such luck this year..Does water level have affect there spawning movements?? As I recall the water was up maybe a foot or 2 from where it's at now.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Guys , Crappie rely on water temps to set the stage. Buy a gauge and start recording, you'll be happy you did.
Best to all of You,
Jim G.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
I'm with misfit and others on this one. Seems like there are days or even times of day when they should be biting, but for some reason they just don't. If I understood it, then I wouldn't get skunked so much. Even on great spots that don't get pressured, they surprise me now and then with the no-bite attitude. This past Wednesday was one of those days. Tuesday was good on that lake from what I heard, but Wednesday was a bust for most people. I heard the early bite was good and then went cold through the rest of the day.

One pattern is commonly talked about as the water warms up this time of year, and that is that the fish move in very early and again very late. For me the most consistent Crappie pattern is July in the deeper water.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts