close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hepatitis A found in Cuyahoga

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by AndroDoug, Dec 17, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Front page of the ABJ has an article that Hep A has been found in the Cuyahoga river downstream of the sewage plant/outflow near Bath road. YUMMY! I am sure glad its down there and not up where I fish the river in Cuyahoga Falls, Kent and Munroe Falls.

Also, 3rd paragraph down it states "Other bacteria, viruses, and parasites that can trigger diseases also were found in the Cuyahoga river sampling" Akron is just destroying that river. It is a shame. I know the fishing is supposed to be decent in the lower stretches beyond Akron, but I'm not gonna touch the water!

Just thought I'd share this with everyone who does not get the Beacon Journal. Here is the link... http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/10438172.htm?1c

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

That does not sound good at all, I would not fish that water.

3. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

It's no surprise. I found used tampons and condoms in the water and on the shoreline at Babb Run Park. Cheesehead found them there too. Baitloser had that nasty infection on his leg from the river. Never been back to the fish in Akron's toilet since.
    I wouldn't fish the river anywhere south of Lake Rockwell. Kent, Cuyahoga Falls and Summit County has their s*** plants along your stretch.
    They may not have hepatitis but I'll bet my last dollar there is nasties you wouldn't want to be wading in.
    Oh, by the way I heard on the radio this morning the federal govt. is now allowing untreated sewage to be dumped into our waterways with treated sewage to save the federal govt. $27 billion (their share of the cost to upgrade sewage plants).
    No surprise there either after they increased the allowed levels of arsenic in your drinking water and decided mercury is no longer a toxic substance.

And I will stop myself here before a mod. decides to chasten me.:D

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

cuyahoga water thread...only a mater of time.....like a bomb getting ready to go off!

5. The major problem is with the combined storm water/sewer overflows, not only the water treatment plant. There are plans in the works to fix the problems.

I guess Lake Erie has just a big of a problem with human waste and the "trinkets" you mentioned for the Cuyahoga too. I've seen them all up there too, Mentor Headlands SP, teh Fairport wall, the Grand, the Chagrin, the Rocky, Vermilion, Huron.

6. Yuck!! What a mess! It is just a good thing that river does not flow into Lake Erie to contaminate the whole lake.!:eek:

I hope that report of untreated sewage being dumped in is wrong. Our goevernment would not let us get away with that crap but when it is their penny at risk they change the rules?:mad:

7. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

ive seen, with my own eyes, pure, raw, "sewage" with assorted "goodies" flowing like mad rivers into feeder creeks for the cuyahoga.

and calling it "sewage" is putting it nicely.

anyone who thinks it isnt that big of a deal hasnt seen what ive seen.

you really have to see it to beleive it.

no one wants to think about what happens to that water when you flush the toilet full of who knows what, but its there, its part of our society and its here to stay.

its the cso like BD said. but it will cost BILLIONS to fix. you help to fight pollution when you pay your sewer bill. If it goes up, its for a good reason. A lot of these old sewers were built in the 1930's and theyre still widely in use.

8. Yep. HWF is right. And yes, it is absolutely disgusting.

There are plans to clean it up, but it is very expensive, but long overdue. Will be slow going, but I think they'll get there.

9. AndroDoug

Yeah Hardwater, I bet you HAVE seen things being near Tinker's creek. Bedford dumps all its waste into that small creek. Tinker's creek gorge may have some of the best rafting/kayaking rapids around these parts, but I can't use them because I am too afraid of the water! That creek is said to be among the most polluted creeks in Ohio! There's gotta be a way that they can raise more money to fix sewage plants. No more stadiums, we need sewage treatment plants!!!

But yes, it is a fact of life being in a continually growing society and urban area. Everyone creates waste, and it HAS to go SOMEWHERE! And a river taking it away is really convenient! There is no other way. We as the public need to put pressure on these guys to keep striving for cleaner waste (an oxymoron if I ever heard one! :D ). Cause if we let them lax, they will take FULL advantage of it and more!

And I also hope that report on letting untreated sewage in the rivers is wrong as well. If that is true, we should find out who is responsible for that one and keep all our waste for a week, and dump it on his lawn and in his pool and see how he likes it!

10. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Just dump a few bottles of bleach in the river..that'll do the trick :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. Until a year ago. I lived my whole life real close to Stinker's Creek & the Bedford Metroparks. The last time I think I waded in the creek was probably 20 some years ago. They keep saying it's getting better. Today, I would not let my dog swim in the creek. I hope that things change before it gets too far out of hand, and all the whole ecosystem along the waterways is effected. We need to keep on our goverment officials to fix this before we become the butt of all the jokes again ("burn baby..burn").

My 1.68 cents worth (after taxes....)

12. Mud Brook is about 100 feet from me, at about a mile before it enters the Hoga. They hit the nail on the head with alot of the pollution (non point source, opposite of what this article is specific about) going into it from there too. This apartment complex I currently live at has a beautiful stretch running through it but boy do they LOVE doing anything and everything possible illegal concerning construction around and in it. I've filed complaints with the USACE but that is almost worthless the past year and I've dropped some hints and photos to the OEPA but nothign so far. It was also the site during two summers ago's flood that broke a sewage line that spewed for almost a week unchecked. And wow do I love the smell in the summer after a long rain when the wind is just right. Between the landfill, the compost/recycling center, and the waste water plant YUM. I would really like to see what the USGS didnt test for too. I believe Colorado State or Colo U was doing studies and found incredibly high amounts of estrogen and detergents (which are banned everywhere else in the world but here) that mimic estrogens in the water. Which in turn is causing a significant amount of fish to have develop both male and female sex organs and tissues. While that is a somewhat common occurance in some fish in such high numbers it isnt. Now just imagine that all that water is what you drink and the fish you eat going back into you....so very very hard though to screen for viruses and chemicals like that when you think about it. They are so many microns small...well you get the point... its alotta $$$$$

13. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Hey Doc, Is THAT contagious if you eat the fish?...the hormone thing

14. YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONTACT 1 OF THE T.V.STATIONS AS THEY LIKE THESE KIND OF STORIES..IT ATTRACTS ATTENTION AND SOMETIMES THINGS GET DONE FASTER THINGS GET DONE FASTER THAT WAY...

15. It's not really matter of contagious in the medical sense its more of a bioaccumulation and consumption...just like the heavy metals we were talking about in the other thread. Think of it as being like eating beef thats been heavily injected and fed on things with lots of hormones or well drinking a big glass of water with things in it you shouldnt have in elevated levels and you don't know it. I personally don't know much about any studies that have been done regarding that, but gnerally speaking ingesting amounts of hormones that woudl give your body unnatural levels would be harmful. There is some early speculation to a correlation of raised occurences of certain cancers that are associated with improper hormone levels in one of the areas which the water was found to be saturated with them. I think the greater focus of this issue is with the water itself. It said something in the article that this studied provided 75% of the drinking water to the greater metro area (of D.C.?), and specificically the one case of sharpsburg VA too. So the worry is that the treatment misses it, it goes into the water, and then comes to your tap, so you'd be drinking a hormone infused glass of water. What that does I surely don't know, you may just urinate it out, you may keep some, you may keep it all, I am certainly no endocrinologist.

A TV story about someone driving a trackhoe through a stream, dredging and channelizing it, dumping fill dirt, and not using proper sediment controls for stormwater isn't exactly the kind of exciting news that the local 3, 5, 8, 19 go for. It isnt the same, not as shocking if someone backed up a truck and threw 55 gallon drums with the skull and cross bones painted on it into a creek. Non-point source pollution is a pretty boring subject. Well not to me :D Its been a LONG time too since its happened so that doesn't look well, and I think I may have scared em a little because I took a bunch of pictures of them (which unfortunately I may have lost some in a system crash).

16. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Thanks for your help Doc, in all matters to this regard...really!

17. AndroDoug

I just love the "catered" ads on the top of the page! At the time I posted this, there was an ad about Hepititus drugs and one about STDs. The one thread a little while ago on polution accumulated in fish tissues, had ads about cuisinarts because there was talk about using a blender to mince the fish into a pulp. Its amazing that these ad-producing programs can hone in on a word or topic and cater the ads to what is in the thread. It is also funny when they miss the boat!