close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Henry Rifles

Discussion in 'Guns and Ammo' started by bobk, Nov 10, 2017.

1. bobk

bobk

I'm wanting to buy a Henry. What would be your first choice? Deer rifles good shooters?

2. Hmmmm boy.. Had a .357. Didnt care for tube fed. Otherwise it was fine rifle.

3. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

I love the Henry action, as well as the solid frame, they have an 'old Winchester' feel about them. They are a bit heavy, but I'm OK with that myself. I don't care much for all of the commemorative or tribute models they make, unless I was gifting them, the regular steel models are my favorite. If I wanted an Ohio deer rifle I would look at the color case hardened .45-70, but if I just wanted a Henry to shoot I would grab a .308. Wish they made the .308 with a case hardened receiver, I would have one for sure.

bobk likes this.
  4. I should mention my wife has a Henry 22... Not a golden boy... she absolutely loves it and it is spot on accurate
    Might know of someone selling a 357 henry if your interested

bobk likes this.
  5. one3

one3

I have three Henry rifles, 22, 44mag 45-70. They all shoot well. A lot of guys do not seem to like them because they do not have a loading gate, but that never seemed to bother me, because I am hunting and do not see the need to be able reload fast.Unloading is easy. The 44mag does not have swivles for a sling so i bought a no drill sling over the internet, i like it reall well too. If you buy one I do not think you will be disapointed.

bobk likes this.
  6. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

Like dovans stated, they are tack drivers. Only Experience is my golden boy in 22 though.

bobk likes this.
  7. Im partial to the All Steel in 45 colt. 6.5# short and will handle aanything in Ohio. It can shoot a 1 1/2 group at 100 yards probably better with someone besides me at the rifle but it is accurate and has plenty of punch. I shoot reduced loads Squirrel hynting every fall and use full pwer loads for varmits year round.

bobk likes this.
  8. bobk

bobk

Thanks for the good info guys.

jw42 likes this.
  9. I own the Henry 45/70. It is an Incredibly accurate deer rifle. Every time I look at it I am amazed at its quality.

fastwater likes this.
  10. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1510414531.787812.jpg
    This Hornaday LeverRevolution ammo is perfect for lever actions

bobk likes this.
  11. Have been looking at them myself the last couple a years for the purpose of deer hunting.
    Fired a 22 and 44 Golden Boy a buddy of mine has and the actions were really smooth. The 44 had to be cycled with a bit of authority but was still smooth. Obviously not the finish I would get for hunting.
    Got on their website last summer and they sent me literature covering all their models including the latest. Was some interesting reading on some of the finish's and the purpose for them.
    They have a new All Weather version out in 45-70 and 30-30 that looks nice and I don't think would be too flashy either.

They'll send you a free catalogue on their guns here:
    https://www.henryusa.com/catalog/

bobk likes this.
  12. That was true with the 357 as well... "With Authority." very good way to describe what you had to do.

bobk and fastwater like this.
  13. bobk

bobk

All weather version sounds interesting.

ezbite and fastwater like this.
  14. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

that's what I have, but the 45/70 is probably too much punch for you sally..:oops:

Minnowhead and fastwater like this.
  15. bobk

bobk

Psssss

16. And we all thought you only liked guns made of plastic. :eek:

T-180, ezbite, bobk and 1 other person like this.
  17. Actually, I'm thinkin ez is truly a closet steel guy a heart.:D

ezbite likes this.
  18. EZ just approaches firearms like one should approach life... does not matter whats on the outside, but what works on the inside.

19. Drm50

Drm50

I'm not big on Henry products, I think they are over priced for what they are. Not bad mouthing
    them they just don't measure up to Winchesters or JM Marlins. The designs they are building have
    been kicking around for years. Their is no doubt they are using better materials than the previous
    makers and everyone seems to be pleased with their Customer Service. I don't look at them to
    have the durability of Wins/ Marlin. Remington has ruined Marlin line of rifles crating a hole in lever
    action market for Henry to fill. With some of their rifles around the $900 range I can find a high
    condition Win, Mar or Brn for same or less. By accident will end up with a rifle that is not only a
    more durable gun but will have a higher resale value. Henry- bah humbug.:eek: