close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Helpful advice?

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Reelson, Sep 22, 2008.

1. This is my first season bow hunting and really my first season deer hunting. I've got all of the scent remover ready for this weekend and my clothes in a container hidden away. I have my bow sited in and I have been out in the woods several times to scout. This is what I've come up with: A tree sitting on the edge of a swamp with tracks running 10 yards in front of it to the water. There is also a visible 30 yard by 30 yard of grass about knee high in my site. Also to get to my spot I have to walk through several apple trees. I guess my question is any scents I should use, or calls I should make? Or should I just sit and wait. There seems to be plenty of deer traffic and I really don't have a stealth cam to scout out the area. Any advice would be very helpful.

2. It sounds like you have been doing a lot of good prep work. I can think of a couple of things to throw out there to consider.

You mentioned a particular tree but don't limit yourself to only one tree because with deer you need to be constantly aware of the wind direction. A tree one day may figure to be a perfect location whereas another day you may be sitting directly upwind of their travel route. You can do all the scent elimination in the world but trust me they will smell you anyway. Some may not pay attention but others will freeze instantly or leave the area immediately. So try to come up with multiple stand locations to accommodate different conditions. Also keep in mind that where you see them in the morning may not necessarily be where they will show up in the evening.

As far as calls I would recommend only calling to deer in sight. A grunt tube can sometimes be what it takes to draw a deer in. Many of the calls have a range of grunts from fawn to big buck. In particular I would recommend having at least a buck grunt and a doe grunt and/or bleat. Do not overuse them but try them when the deer are not quite coming through the zone you hoped.

As far as entering the stand area I would recommend that you really take in to consideration which route may keep you the most hidden on entry. Try to figure out where they may be during the time you are entering and use that to your advantage.

Continue practicing your shooting even during the season. You may even want to shoot every now and then from your stand for practice. Shoot at least some from your stand or at least a platform as high as your stand to get a feel for the differences in elevated shooting. For one distance judgment can be a bit tricky and if you are shooting a compound some people have a tendency to alter their form when shooting downward. Actually shooting in those conditions is the only way to know for sure if there are any issues. Also be sure to shoot some with full hunting gear. often times bulkier clothes or camo masks alter form some and accuracy may be an issue.

Limit your shots to a reasonable distance. Unless you have a great deal of experience I would recommend limiting to maybe 25 yards.

When the time comes that you have stuck a deer be patient. Let the deer bleed out. I think often times guys get too anxious and begin tracking and push a wounded deer and never find it. I know it is not easy to wait but it is the right thing to do in almost all cases.

Be safe and have fun. Hopefully you can stick one and post the picture on here for all of us to see.

3. Thanks! What about camo? Do I really need to wear it? I have some hunter orange camo and I wasn't sure if that would make a difference. As for scent remover I have the spray and the body wash. I was told since the area I was hunting had alot of apple trees to throw a few in with my clothes? Does that sound right? Also how often should I use a call if at all?

4. Sounds like you have really scoped out the area. Good start. And you have been given some great advice. If you are thinking of setting up on the tracks, maybe dont pick the tree within ten yards. I would back off to 20 yards to get a better angle of shot, however you would want to be a little higher to keep from being seen. This time of year I really enjoy the "bug suit" leafy camo you can buy at wal mart for 40 bucks. It is very light weight and will not cook you. It also does wonders for keeping you from being seen. Wash all of your hunting clothes(and I mean all, socks etc.). Spray down before going in, including the bottoms of your boots. Get in early, but safely. Don't worry about calling too much this early and without much experience, but some soft doe or buck grunts might bring a deer in closer. Hope that helps. Oh and I would not bother with the apples in the clothes, that may draw extra attention to you, not a good idea. I have never had a problem with scent control. Just use commons sense and really spray down. I also Like the scent waffers in the autumn scent. Clip one on your hat. does wonders.

5. Carpn

Carpn BOWFISHERMAN

Great advice. Lots of deer are lost due to hunters taking up the trail to fast. on a good hit the deer are down quickly but on a marginal hit. If you leave em go they usually go a short distance, bed down, and expire. If pushed they can get up and run a long ways leaving a minimal bloodtrail. Better to wait extra long than not long enough.

6. As far as camo goes I would definitely recommend a natural color camo but if you are short on money you could go with the hunter orange. Just keep in mind that the hunter orange outfit that you have will be needed when hunting during a gun season regardless of whether you are hunting with a gun or not. Although the deer are pretty much color blind they can distinguish different tones somewhat and you will show up more with the orange. Early in the year you can go with light weight camo that can be purchased at a relatively inexpensive price. You will want to wash them regularly with baking soda or a scent-free soap. The body wash is good as well and then just give a quick spray of the scent eliminator product that you have. You can store you clothes in a bag or box outside of the house itself to eliminate the entry of household odors.

As far as calling I believe initially you are better off just calling to a deer in sight or at least within the area. Calling blindly can be productive at times but if it is done too much or not in a convincing manner it can have negative effects. I would just recommend using it as a way to turn a deer that may be passing through outside your range.

7. As far as camo goes, anything that will break up your outline will work. As long as you keep movement to a minimum. Deer's weakest sense is sight.

As far as scent, I know I already responded in another thread, but check this out. www.scentsmoker.com. It's worth at least a consideration.

Just keep practicing with your bow, and make sure you are tied into your tree, because buck fever will make you shake like a leaf.

8. i wouldnt wear blue jeans. ive been told in seminars and ive heard on tv that deer can see the color blue. even if you went to a army surplus store and got regular woodland camo thats better than goin out in regular clothes the orange is ok to wear but in bow season every hunter will see you and might think hey thats a good spot someones there and when your not there they might hunt it. just a thought. if you call at all i would use a doe or fawn bleat. ive had way more luck using that early in the season than grunting. you might want to hunt that spot in the evening providing a good wind. ive always had my best luck huntin apple trees or orchards in the evening. just make sure you have a good wind before huntin your spot cuz if you go there in a bad wind just cuz you wanna hunt it you could ruin it for a good while.