Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am no expert and the fact that this story happened while I was browsing the fishing section at Kmart makes that obvious. I hear a young guy (18-20) asking a few goofballs some questions about fishing gear and lures. They gave no answers other than they just run trotlines. He then starts telling them about how he is trying to learn how to fish and talking a lot about this app on his iphone that tells you when the fish are biting and when you should go. I look over and notice that he has three things in his hand; 4"crankbait, cheap light spincast combo, and a pack of freeze dried shad. He continues to pick through a combination of items that left me scratching my head. I was just there killing time so at this point I was locked in like it was the season finally of The Walking Dead. The whole time his girlfriend was actually giving him really good advice which he completely ignored. Example; "That reel is crap" to which he replied "No i'm pretty sure these ones cast further than the others" Then then started complain about the lures not saying what fish they will catch on the package.

I couldn't take it anymore so I struck up a conversation with the kid. I didn't want to tell him what to do so I just asked him some questions and started steering him in the right direction. Over a few minutes he had put down everything in his hand. Turns out he was planning on spending $100 to get himself started. Without guidance he would have tossed it all in the garbage.

20 minutes later he was on his way to checkout with an ok Shimno combo (best option they had). Some channel cat hooks and sinkers (told him to try shrimp for bait and how set up a slip rig). And a hand full of multi specie easy to use lures like wordens rooster tails, crappie jigs, wee craw (he was dead set on catching a smallmouth from paintcreek), and a booyah spinnerbait (because he saw I had one). Also some terminal tackle and a small tackle box. I also explained a little about live bait options and rigs. Just a lot of easy to use stuff that produce lots of different fish of different sizes.

I wish the kid good luck and I hope I was able to give him a chance to get started off on the right foot. I can't imagine he would have had a very good experience with the route he was headed. A very nice and respectful young guy who just did not have a clue about fishing. Best part is that as they walked away his girlfreind said "I already told you half of that stuff dumbass"

·
don m
1,014 Posts
We all need some help starting out from someone someplace. You just added a bit to your good carma. I figure the less negative I add in that column the better off I am. I had done a bit of tourni fishing in Az in the Red Man circuit with a partner who helped me a lot. BUT when I came back here I couldnt buy a bite from a bass to save my life. Vic Vatalaro tried to help out as best as he could and I was not going to hire a guide to learn that way. After a while I finally found them and may never get dialed in on them on every lake but the help that I got from people like you saved me lots of bucks....after I actually fell for the bionic minnow. I guess we all are sucked in to one of those TV super fish catching baits or something somewhere along the way. I guess I learned something from all of it.
I hope he passes it forward in the future.
later
donm

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My aunt bought me the banjo minnow kit for my birthday. I was the happiest kid ever, never caught a fish on it even thought Im sure it was me more than the lures.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My aunt bought me the banjo minnow kit for my birthday. I was the happiest kid ever, never caught a fish on it even thought Im sure it was me more than the lures.
I had one of those kits and only the smallest one worked and I lost all of the jig heads immediately. It wasn't just you. Good to hear you help out a new guy. Hopefully you taught him the most important part of fishing, clean up your trash.

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Cool story. Way to lend a hand Rusty.

"I was browsing the fishing section at Kmart..." sounds like a line out of a country song. :p

·
Registered
805 Posts
Nice story man! And major props there.. I'm no expert and i'll admit it I've tried before striking up convos with fisherman at stores only to get attitude that I'm bothering them so kudos there..also props to the kids girlfriend for knowing her sh*t! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
About a month ago I saw a kid fishing with a Texas rigged worm, just tossing it out and reeling it in really quickly. As I got closer I heard him complaining about the fish not biting. As I walked by I told him to sloooooow down and when he thought he was fishing it slow enough, slow down some more. By the time I got to the other side of the small cove, not even two minutes later, he had a fish on. I couldn't help but think that I helped make that happen.

I used to catch all kinds of bass and pike on the original banjo minnows, especially the frogs that came in the kit.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Bass tracker
79 Posts
The bionic minnows worked great for me kinda wish they still had them. Anytime I'm out fishing and see a younger kid out having a hard time I try and give him some pointers. Getting people more into fishing is something I always try and do kudos to you for helpin.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im happy I could help him but I do not know if I deserve much credit for it. I think the main reason I helped him was because of guilt, in my head I was making fun of this kid pretty bad. There were a few times that I could hardly contain my laughter. But I am a person that tends to find everything funny. So basically I laughed at the kid slipping and falling in the mud 10 times before I gave him a hand. And then posted it on here because because I found it funny.

But I feel better about helping him than laughing at him so I guess there is hope for me. I always try to help people when I can, too bad I find thier strugles so funny.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Im happy I could help him but I do not know if I deserve much credit for it. I think the main reason I helped him was because of guilt, in my head I was making fun of this kid pretty bad. There were a few times that I could hardly contain my laughter. But I am a person that tends to find everything funny. So basically I laughed at the kid slipping and falling in the mud 10 times before I gave him a hand. And then posted it on here because because I found it funny.

But I feel better about helping him than laughing at him so I guess there is hope for me. I always try to help people when I can, too bad I find thier strugles so funny.
Atleast ur honest rustyfish lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I had a guy strike up a conversation at a gas station at about 5:30 in the morning when I was going out early in the season. It was 34 degrees or so and I really didn't want to chat but I answered his questions about my boat because he said he was looking for something to do with his 13yo son. I texted him a link to a boat for sale on this site and told him good luck. A few days later he sent me a text back and it turns out he lives a few streets away. He bought a boat in late April and in May we both took our boats and sons to Mosquito. After a little while we had caught a few fish in our boat but the were getting skunked. I showed him how to Texas rig a Senko and once the fish had thrashed it to wacky rig it to get a few more casts out of it. He and his son caught 15 bass that day and we have been friends since. It feels good to help someone out especially since he and his son have gone fishing every weekend that he's not at his mothers house.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
your old standby
Hey if I can catch fish on them, anyone can! They do really well for black crappie. LOL

Sent from my MB886 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 20 of 23 Posts