Help

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by HeadwatersEd, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Can anybody offer a struggling beginner any tips? I've tried for years to catch ANYTHING through the ice, and all i do is get frustrated. Don't care what species, probably CnR anyway. Any advice on basic techniques or places to try would be greatly appreciated.

2. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Ed,

What part of the state are you in ? If I happen to be in town and there is good ice this winter I'd be happy to show you the little bit I know :)

3. Since there is no ice yet do a little self help. Go on Ebay or Amazon type in search " ice fishing ". Pick out a couple good books. Look for titles like " Modern Icefishing ".

The will cover the basics and will explain why mobility is important. They will also cover tatics and equipment needed. Then use the knowledge gained by hitting the ice if it gets here. First couple of trips try to accomplish a few firsts then work on the successes. Try to get out with a few vet ice fishers your first couple trips.

Be willing to learn and in a few years you will be teaching somebody. No matter how long some of us have been ice fishing. We were at one point right where you are at.

4. Can u give us some info on the types of jigs u use or equipment to give us an idea of what u may be doing wrong? There is also a sticky thread at the top on tips. A good idea is to ask it you can fish next to someone who may look like they have been ice fishing for a few years.

5. hey peple, fellow Burtonite here (actually Troy).

I've mostly tried pond fishing . Got a few tip-ups and a couple ultra lites. usually try small jigs of different colors tipped with maggots under a float. I've tried Ladue a handful of times with no success.

One of my biggest problems is knowing how long to sit on a hole. If it is not productive, how long should i wait?

6. 1977 walleye guy

1977 walleye guy Addicted Outdoorsman

10 to 15 min. per hole or less, that part is up to u. mobility is key, move until you find active fish.

7. i have great luck on chartu. glow pin mins. and green and white pin mins tipped with wax worms with a slip bobber. gold and silver are also great producers for me also...i agree with 10 to 15 min a hole to try to find the bite. its rough when u can never find the bite last year i was on mogadore all day marked fish everywhere but no bites...moved prolly 300 times i was sore for a week and a half. and still to this day i have never caught a fish on mog.

8. I like punderson, LaDue seems to have a slow bite during the winter. At Anderson people do good off of the beach, and to the left where it funnels, in 15+ feet of water. I use a 2-4lb line with a pinmin and a half a waxworm. Put a small splitshot about 15 inches up and drop it down to the bottom. Reel up a few inches and give it a jig every few seconds. Farm ponds are a gret way to start. Just find some deep water or structure and start fishing. I really like the custom jigs'n spins "shrimpo" in black or white and pink.

9. peon

peon account delete

what i would do if i was you ed.. is when we get good ice goto a lake that you know people are on and just walk out with your gear and introduce yourself and ask if they care if you join.. i have never meet many ice people that are *a-holes* ... most people will let ya fish with them and show ya the ropes, might even let you use their bait so you can catch fish... i know i would..... i usually bring a few extra rods just in case someone wants to fish that don't have one...

10. Thanks everyone for the info.

I'm really surprised by the amount of time spent per hole. I've apparently been wasting alot of time when i should be moving more.

On a farm pond or lake that is limited in structure, where do you begin? Deep holes? Breaks? Rock?

Again, thanks to everyone for the tips. Always thought you icefisherman were a little nuts, but every year winter seems a little longer and i just cant spend so much time without wetting a line.

11. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

i usually have the best luck in the deepest part of a pond. on lakes i look for either structure or green weeds.

are these jigs around size 10 or 12? i like 12 or 14 the best for blugill. and i wouldnt use any swivels or sinkers (unless you really need it) and make sure your knots are really neat and trimmed.

also, fresh new line, of a really thin diameter such as 4lb. at the most, preferably less if you can such as 2 or 3lb. test.

sometimes bites can be hard to detect even with a bobber. use a super tiny bobber. thill makes really nice bobbers. shaped like an egg. sometimes fish just give a quick nibble and thats it. you could try holding the rod. or someday check out spring bobbers.

all of these things are things that contribute to you presenting a stealthy, light, sensitive presentation so that fish will not be wary or spooked and make it easier for you to feel the light bites. 75% of ice fishing bites are light. maybe not even bites. more like nibbles or tastes would be better words. so you may have been getting bites but not noticed them.

if you have access to private ponds then i would work them over until you get a feel for catching. your best shot at success is on those ponds.

once you find a spot put one about 6" up off the bottom and one about 18". sometimes fish like a little action, so every once in a while pick up a rod and give it a tight shake. not a wild up and down jigging motion but a tight quiver. you want the lure to "buzz" a bit.

my favorite ice fishing book is "Ice fishing Secrets"

good luck!