Ohio Game Fishing banner

help????

945 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mastercatman 
#1 ·
looks like im going to the muskingum river saturday. I am going to be going after flatheads. I have never been to the muskingum and was wondering if anyone could offer any good ideas on where to set up and how to set up and what kind of bait to use I will be fishing from shore.

#2 ·
Well, if I were you, find the dams along the river and fish below them. They'll be the easiest places to find with you not being familiar with the area. They can also be productive though sometimes slow this time of year but, that's anywhere you go right now. If nothing happens at the dams, you may try to move downriver to the next fishable area, look for deep holes with cover like boulder riprap, logs, etc. I would rig with green sunfish, bullheads, carp, rockbass, or goldfish this time of year. Put them down on a sliding sinker rig using a strong barrel swivel between the weight(2-3oz) and leader to the hook(3/0-5/0). Use bait clickers or loosen drag if you're not hanging on to your rods! Good luck and please post results!

#4 ·
Chubs may work but, good luck keeping them alive! Bobbers may prove difficult below the dams unless you can get them to hold in an eddy. The baits I listed are the most likely to stay alive in the bucket and on the hooks. Make sure to do frequent water changes or you won't have much live bait for long!

#9 ·
Yeah, I was up at the Muskingum Saturday too! My buddy landed 3lb and 7lb flatties while I pulled a :S! At least you had some action! It will get better as the season progresses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.