close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by jaredj, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Hi all,
    Any one have an Idea what causes a motor to be hard to start? It never starts on 1 or 2 tries. Takes a few times. Then when it starts, it runs for a few secs then dies. Start it again and it stays, but i have to have to keep the RPMS up. While idleing its running about 500 rpms. Any help or suggestions would be great. thanks.

2. It would help to know what kind of motor your talking about, but there's a real good chance you carb(s) needs cleaned and/or rebuilt. Are you pumping the primer bulb first? How old is the motor and when is the last time the carbs were cleaned? Was it winterized?

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

what motor is it year ,make, model.. it may need to be decarbonized. could be dirty, fouled plugs. sometimes different oil will make a difference. try some seafoam in your tank. has the motor sat a long time? do you troll. is it oil injected? power tilt. my 99 40 is very hard to start.have to keep pumping the bulb and work the primer button , seems as though all the gas goes out of the carb when it is in full tilt position. but it runs fine. i troll and change my plugs 3 or 4 times a year also use it for duck hunting. plugs are cheap, change them often.

4. Its a 89 johnson 90 Hp Electric tilt. I just bought it a couple of months ago. When its on plane or just moving it seems fine, just during start ups and idleing at start up is when I seem to have the problems. It was oil injected at one time, but has since been converted to manual mix. I use the johnson 2 cycle oil. Whats the best way to clean the carbs? Whats seafoam? and what does it do? Will any marina carry it? Thanks all for your help

5. First thing you need is a manual for you motor. The $30 you spend can save you hundreds in labor fees. In it will be step by step instructions on cleaning your carbs. Basically, you disassemble the carbs, soak all metal parts in cleaner, then blow out all passages with compressed air. The first time might take you only a few hours. I had similar problems to yours and recently cleaned the carbs in my motor. It made a HUGE difference.
    Seafoam is a fuel additive. You can probably get it at your local NAPA.