Help with putting grease on bearings

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Young Whiskers, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Can anyone tell me (or point me in the right direction) how to load grease into the bearings on my trailer. It is a single axle trailer without brakes, and there are bearing buddies on each wheel. I have never done this before, so any help would be appreciated.

I have looked online and seen a few tutorials for how to repack a bearing on a trailer that does not have bearing buddies, but have not yet seen one with bearing buddies.

Kevin

2. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

You need a grease gun and tube of grease. Murray's has them. There is a grease fitting on the buddy. Pump grease in until it starts to come out the weep hole.

3. also;

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. Are you trying to check and repack the bearings or just add bearing grease?

5. I didn't review all the info in the other posts but I would suggest you check out the bearing buddy website - maybe starting with their FAQ. Info on correctly removing the buddies, etc. Proper removal is important because if you goof up they tend to fall out sometime down the road.

Lots of good detailed info - Here is an example:
    >>>>>>>
    3. With Bearing Buddy® installed, how often do I need to repack my bearings? We don't recommend inspecting your bearings more frequently than once every 5 years, provided you properly maintain the grease level in the hubs, and your bearings and seals are in new condition when you install genuine Bearing Buddy®. The Bearing Buddy® system maintains a constant pressure of 3 p.s.i. on the grease inside the hub. Since the hub is always full of grease (with proper maintenance) there is no need to repack your bearings. Some customers have reported that their Bearing Buddy® units were removed for the first time after 10 to 15 years of use, and the bearings still looked like new.
    >>>>>>>>

I haven't posted enough to provide links w/o moderator approval so search bearing buddies & the site will be the 1st hit or www bearingbuddy dot com

Regards

6. Maybe we need a pro's., outlook on this one. Bearing buddies R great BUT....

They DO NOT allways get the grease back to the bearings (from what I was told?) Helps keep the moisture out & does add extra grease to the area but again NOT FOOLPROOF!

Since I trailer my boat all over & just travelling around I seem to take a mental note of boats on the side of the road-jacked up. Most of the time its bearing failure. Being a anal boat owner I re-pack my trailer EVERY SPRING. Yea, it tales about a hour or 2, but IN MY OPINION it is good insurance so that I never become one of those raod side guys fooling around & having a entire trip screwed up because of a bearing failure.
    Before the season starts, I also take a shake down cruise to make shure EVERYTHING is 100% on the boat.

SO I'M ANAL!

Nik

7. I used to use bearing buddies and they did what they were supposed to do. You have to remember, they wont force grease THROUGH the bearing. My problem usually stemmed from the back. If your grease seal leaks, you can have all the protection on the other side and it wont matter. The only way to truly repack bearings without taking them apart is to use spindle-lube axles.

Scott

8. Nikster - I believe you are wise to repack every year but think about this....wouldn't it be even better to repack them in the fall prior to putting the trailer and boat away for winter?? That way you can remove any moisture that may have gotten into the bearing area before it can cause damage while sitting there for 4-5 months.

9. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Bearing Buddies are no substitute for properly packing the bearings.

10. You R 100% correct. After removing my bearing buddies & giving it a visual I also raise the trailer frame to take any un-necessary pressure OFF THE BEARINGS, held up with cheap auto/thingies. Was told some time ago that bearings can & will develop pressure points (flat spot) from an EXCESSIVE load while in storage.

Thanks for your GOOD ADVICE, What some would call SOUND WISDOM!

Nik

11. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

really??? 5 years. is that 1 trip a year? i pull mine every spring, clean out all the old grease, spin the bearings look at the races and replace if i see any discoloring, if everything is good, i just repack them. i have heard alot of people do this in the fall, which is great. i just like to do mine in the spring, kinda blow off a bit of cabin fever.

12. Same here. I did read on the tube of grease to not let it freeze( I have a unheated garage). So I wait until spring.

13. Didn't mean to get you guys fired up lol. But since I did...I'm definitely no expert...just another point of view:

I once mentioned that boat guys tend to change or repack bearings once a year to a trailer place guy - he laughed. Think he may have said every 6,000 miles... I just pasted info copied from the BB site that might get someones attention but let me ask you this. Have you ever run a properly installed & maintained set 5 yrs? lol. Did you read the rest of the information in the link?

If you do not blow out your seals, water is not getting in there and IM non-expert opinion, there is no reason to get your hands dirty every year if your just driving to a local lake a few times a week and making a 5 hr round trip once or twice a month. If you blow a seal, do the bearings while you have everything apart.

Personally, I hate to do wheel bearings & do it only as necessary which was every 2 or 3 yrs when I had BB's and is working out to probably every 4 with the trailmaster (I fish less now).

Not to say you shouldn't pack a spare hub or stuff do do bearings...
    Good Luck

14. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

we realize that info was from someone else. no harm. i made 28 trips to erie last year. at least 100 to 140 miles each time. no way am i going to try 5 years w/o checking them.lol.lol.lol.:p

15. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Your best is to check them every year, mainly it's the seals that go bad then they let water into the bearing and then it will over heat, I trailer an average of over 10,000 miles each year going to all our tournaments, I went 5 years on a single set of bearings and I lost one along the highway inroute to a tournament it is no fun getting blasted with pee gravel from 18 wheelers going by at 70 plus miles an hour, last year it happened three times on me and the same wheel thought maybe I had a bent spindle, took the trailer down to Tegtymyers and had them look at it.

I had bought some spare hubs and installed bearings they were the galvenised kind, first mistake, the guy told me to buy the machined hubs only, they hold better tolerances, I would just replace the bearings into the one I lost, second mistake, don't even think about putting bearings into a hub that has been overheated, it expands then the new bearing races will actually spin inside the hub.

So now I carry a fully assembled hub and have new castle nuts and all the dedicated tools to do the job on the road, the one thing the guy told me was to let the trailer sit and cool a tad before backing into the water and when you back your trailer into the water if you see air bubbles rising from the axles you have a seal breech and it is only a matter of time before a breakdown, also make sure you use double lipped seals gives you more coverage on the shaft

Doc