Help with new property

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by BassBlaster, Oct 20, 2008.

1. I just acquired permission to hunt a small farm today, about 500 acres. I have been trying to make contact with the land owner for many weeks but the farmers are pretty busy this time of year. Finally caught up with him today. He was nice enough to show me around the property a bit. I saw 2 scrapes, no rubs, but many deer trails through the property. All the crops are already off. The woods are very thick with undergrowth. My question is how should I tackle this so late in the season? The rut is right around the corner and I know very little about the activity on this property. Should I just concentrate on the edges of the woods where the trails are the heaviest? I found a nice green bottom in the middle of the property with quite a bit of deer sign, I was thinking of putting my stand there where all the trails come together. What do you think? This private land thing is all new to me, I have hunted public land all my life.

2. Your on the right track. You are going to want to try and figure out where they are bedding and where they are feeding. Once you figure this out find a travel corridor between the two and just make sure the wind is right for that area. Another thing is Acorns find acorns and you will find deer.

If the crops are all off they might still be picking the spillage or they might move to a hay field to feed. If the farmer has any hayfields near woods watch from a distance one night with a set of binoculars and try and see where they come in and out of the woods, then set up in the woods in the area you entered from. Be careful the first time you try this as you never know how far from the field they will be bedding.

3. I'd say you are doing the right thing also. I just got permission to hunt 1200 acres in Morgan County. I know nothing of the property, but have been doing what Papascott had said. Basically, we the property into parcels and focus a weekend on each parcel. With three of us hunting, we will have a better idea of where and not where to hunt.

4. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

This is where Google maps or other sat. maps are worth their weight. Good luck!

5. I like MSN.com birdseye views. Gives you a look at the area from about 200 feet off the ground. The only problem is they don't have them everywhere yet

6. Thanks for all the input. I have the address of the farm so I'm gonna start looking at some topo maps and such. Thanks again!!

7. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

I use MSN also but you cant print "birdseye" view.

8. I tried looking for the birdseye view link and cant find it. any one got the full address??????

9. Go ot msn and then go to maps when you zoom in far enough it will go to birds eye