close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help with Lures and presentation

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by dnm, May 21, 2005.

1. dnm

dnm

Hi all,

This might sound REALLY weird, but I am EXTREMELY new to fishing. Im not quite hip to all the lingo and other things yet but am trying to learn.

Basically was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to help educate me as to the purpose of different lures, presentation tips, which lure for which fish stuff like that....

I know this sounds like a big order to fill, but Im not looking for instant gratification. If someone could help me through the board or by PM or emails, I would be VERY VERY appreciative

Thanks
    Dnm

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

it might be better for you to pick one species of fish (ie. largemouth bass or crappie, etc.) and learn them one at a time.

even the changing seasons dictates a change in technique. and different people will have their own favorite methods.

for example. say you want to target largemouth bass in the summer. i would use "topwater" lures fished around heavy cover in the evenings.

topwater lures ride the surface of the water. such as plastic floating frogs. or bladed surface baits that chug-chug-chug the water as they are dragged accross it.

other people would say use plastic worms rigged up XXX style. use lizards. use crankbaits. use this, use that.

theres a lot to learn!

if you are going to hit a body of water you could ask "im going to hit a river this morning and id like to catch smallmouth bass because i heard they are running, can anyone suggest some good tactics for catching them?"

i can almost gaurentee youll get some good responses. then youll be on your way.

im always willing to help if i can or if i know, i was helped out a LOT when i first came to these fishing boards, no one can ever know it all, i know theres tons of stuff i still dont know.

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Right now the white bass are hitting good most anywhere. A spinning reel with 6-8# test and a 1/4 oz roostertail (white or yellow) spinner is good. I like a longer rod as I fish for many species. If I was targeting WB, I'd personally use about a 6 1/2' rod...since I already have them, it would be my Fenwick walleye class rod.
    Another good bait for WB are jigs with a 2" or 3" curly tail, always have white and/or yellow. then you match what they are hitting from wathing others. Maybe 1/8 to 3/8 oz jigs, that's going to depend on where you are & how far you need to cast, etc. Use the lightest jig you can that will suit the needs for the conditions fished. If you can only get one size, I'd go with 1/4 oz & white tails, both 2" and 3" because you don't know which is the size prefered until you start. Some people fish with 2 jigs, tied about 10"-18" apart. Use a heavier jig on the bottom ie: 1/4 oz and a 1/8 oz (or even smaller) on top. You are allowed 2 hooks in OH.

4. dnm

dnm

Thanks, I guess I did leave it a little generic. I basically fish around central ohio( delaware,Dc etc...) I have caught some nice crappie in the last couple weeks but i thought i read somewhere that they kinda stop biting after it warms up alot. So then I guess Ill look for smallmouth or cats then.

I just have no clue as to what a "soft crawl" or a "tube" is.Just things like that.

5. dnm

dnm

Now I have some rooster tails. With those, are you just reeling them in slowly? Or are you jerking the line a little to get some movement? Ive tried this and mine always seem to snag on stuff cause they sink. Any help?

6. mrfishohio

I do alot of different fishing in areas that have a many species (OH River) so my rod of choice is a St Croix 8'3" salmon rod. It will throw 1/4 oz up to 1 1/2 oz with no problems. I have a medium sized Fin Nor megalite reel (3000 series) with 14# Fusion line on it. I can catch wb, skipjacks, wipers up to and over 10#, etc. I use it for sauger fishing, etc, etc. It's a really versital combination.

7. mrfishohio

Keep the speed on the spinners fast enough so they won't hit bottom, a steady smooth retrieve works for me, you can "pump" the rod a little, but not a jerk. Use jigs where there's snags so you will save your money, sometimes they will outfish a spinner anyway. Just depends on conditions, I like the spinners in a lake, preferably out of a boat. Jigs in streams & off the banks.

8. dnm

dnm

Yeah I fish off the banks, dont have a boat yet. Id like to have a boat but I live in an aprtment, so nowhere to keep it.

So the lighter colors are better? Like white and yellows? I wouldve figured the more "natural" colors would work?

9. mrfishohio

I just read you post about not know what a tube is, etc. Got to Bass Pro shops online and Cabelas, Barlows tackle express, jans netcraft, etc. Might just do a search for "Fishing Tackle" and hit those. You will learn a bunch at tackle and bait shops too. Always go to a local baitshop where you are going fishing, they can clue you in as to what's biting & what they are using to catch them.

10. mrfishohio

WB are reactive feeders, chasing minnows, so you just need to get it near them, white looks more like a minnow. But also the flash and vibration of the spinner looks good too. I actually prefer the roostertail Vibric spinner, it can be retrieved slower, but the standard will cast farther.

11. dnm

dnm

Gotcha. Thanks for all your help today ! So is it true theres only a few more days/weeks for crappie? If so I need to go!!!

Dnm

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the hot crappie spawn bite won't be going much longer in most places.i think they were late starting,but the weather has messed with them too.that's not to say you can't make some nice catches all summer though.just a different pattern.

13. dnm

dnm

How different is the patter?

And one other thing...Your not supposed to use snap swivels with cranks and other lure?!?!?! Say it aint so! That makes it soooo much easier to change out lures :(

14. hardwaterfan

The trick to those is....as soon as they hit the water give a jerk and reel.....you have to get the blade spinning. if the blade isnt spinning properly you will feel it. if its spinning correctly, the lure will feel "heavier"....and if the blade stops spinning it will feel lighter.

just kind of play around with it in the water, see what it feels like when its spinning. watch it when it comes in, make sure the blade is spinning. \

they do have a tendency to snag up on aquatic plants and algae.

Im a firm beleiver in keeping presentations as simple and bare-bones as possible. Yes its a bit more work. But it gives me a slight confidence boost. And that might mean an extra fish or two.

Sometimes you need a split ring on spoons. Sometimes i actually will use a snap swivel for cranks but only if im being lazy. Sometimes it probably really doesnt matter, like for night fishing.

soft craw: (soft crawfish bait)

tube: tube bait

both are artificial baits, soft craw is a plastic crayfish and tube is like a big grub

also if theres a term you dont recognize, google the term.....ive done that many times:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q="soft+craw"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q="tube"+fishing+baits

sometimes with a term like "tube" add a few other words like "fishing" or "bait" to the search to refine your results.

15. dnm

dnm

Hwf..Thanks alot, that cleared up alot of things :)

16. i see u are around grove city........try the sciota for smallies and panfish.........get some waders and like others have said use white yellow roostertails.i do alot of river fishing and use lite tackle. 4to6 pound test ultra light rod. oh and rapales in silver and black work good for me.........just my 2 cents....explore the waterways in ur neck of the woods.....sometimes when im wading finding new holes is the best time .

17. mrfishohio

Important point I forgot to mention..what HWF says
    :D

18. dnm

dnm

Mr fish, I wanted to thank you too, youve helped a ton!

Thanks for helping a noob
    Dnm

19. dnm

dnm

Now with a crankbait. when you cast it out, how do you retrieve? slow and steady, or do you "bump" it a little on the way? Also, for small or largemouth around here, whats a good size range crank ? I thought I read 3-4" but wanted to check.

20. hardwaterfan

crankbait retreival is an art. there is no incorrect way, except if you catch fish one way or the other then thats the "correct" way. :)

theres 3 different kinds of crankbaits

1. floating (will rise to the surface)
    2. suspending (supposed to be neutral bouyant)
    3. sinking (sinks to the bottom)

some have rattles, and some dive to different depths. some have a lot of "wiggle" to them, (fatter bodied cranks) and some have less (thin bodied like rapalas) and of course the myriad color choices. personally for me my favorite crank is a rapala firetiger (firetiger is a color). the size is about a 7 or 9. you would be suprised at how big of a crank a small fish will take. fish will sometimes take a crank that is darn near half as big as they are.

you want the bait type that will get to the depth you are after. i like using sinking or suspending during the day and floating when the light fades and after dark. it all depends. you could really use any type.

sometimes (especially fun after dark) you can use a floater and make it look like an injured fish on top of the water.

slow and steady, fast, bumps, long pauses, rips, or a combination of things, all are good. you have to experiment and see what the fish want. not only does the retreival speed vary, but visualize in your mind the depth your lure is at. for example if you pause a floater, it will rise back towards the surface, while a suspender is supposed to stay at the same depth, etc.

normally i just like a steady retreive (they wiggle) but you can do anything with crankbaits.