Help trolling hoover for eyes

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by grino21, Jul 14, 2008.

1. I have been trolling the middle part of the lake around the southernmost bridge with no luck the last few days. I am going at the slowest speed using rapalas diving anywhere between 7-15 feet.
    Can someone give me a couple pointers on where I should be going to troll for eyes in the evening. I have been getting as close to the bank as I can without my bait hitting bottom.
    PM me if you want.

THANKS,

GRINO

2. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Catching 'eyes at Hoover can be a challenge at times. But not because they aren't there...believe me.

First, when you say "I am going at the slowest speed...." How slow is that? Do you have a speedometer or GPS to know exactly how fast? Realize that a subtle difference in speed for tightmouth eyes can mean all the difference. I've trolled cranks where 2 mph wouldn't buy a bite and bumping the throttle up a bit into the 2.5-3.0 mph range would produce good results and vice-versa. Most guys I see don't focus enough on knowing exactly how fast/slow they are trolling. A GPS will be the most accurate way of knowing.

In addition to cranks, I would highly suggest trying some worm harnesses especially at this time of year. Typically I run worm harnesses a lot slower, either drifting or no faster than 1.0-1.5 mph. Using a weight like a bottom boucer to get the harness down to the bottom can be very helpful. I mix up my use of nightcrawlers, leeches and minnows depending on time of year and what the fish seem to want.

As far as locations I can tell you it changes with the time of day, time of year and water temps. If you're pulling near the rip-rap at the bridges that can produce at certain times. Right now, lots of guys are pulling the flats north and south of LOTW. The depths there are fairly consistent and the eyes seem to be there. HOWEVER, just because they are there - doesn't mean they'll bite. I've caught fish when I thought I would catch fish, and then I've caught them at 1:00 in the afternoon on a bluebird sky day with high pressure.

Hope this helps.:)

3. Ditto what 'goat said.

Some of you might remember flattseyetaker (Kevin V) before he moved out of ohio. Probably the most prolific hoover/alum crankbait troller I knew, and a very good tourney angler to boot. One of his trademarks was trolling the bigger #5-#8 shad raps in shallow water < 10' and burning them at muskie speeds. Same thing when he trolled lead core in deeper water. Lots of line out and higher speeds. As he put it, the key was using the throttle to control running depth -- not line out. Good luck.

4. Knew2Fish

Knew2Fish Eye for 'eyes

Try googling "Hoover Saugeye Study" and look at the maps they have compiled from the tagging project. It is a good visual of where the eyes like to hang at certain times of the year. Personally I have had best results this time of year as close to bank as possible (4-8') and as close to 3mph as possible. pause the throttle every now and again and getting your bait to occasionally bump the bottom can make all the difference in the world. You lose more setups that way but your cooler weight will make up the difference.

5. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

True on the last post, if im not bumping bottom, im not catching saugeyes.

6. I will try getting in more shallow water. I have been trying to stay in about 10ft of water so I don't lose so many baits. It makes for a more enjoyable evening when you aren't losing an 8 dollar rapala every 15 minutes. Maybe I will have to go to Wal Mart and buy some Cotton cordells for 4 bucks. Then it won't sting so bad when I lose one.