close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

help!......shear pin needed

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by lownfast, May 25, 2008.

1. hey all..........

hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend!

heres my short story.

yesterday evening me girlfriend and i got all set for some fishing after dark on cj and as we were tooling across lake i had a shear pin give out on outboard. we were fortunate that we were only a 1/2 mile or so from ramp so trolling motor got us back ok. well after a quick trip to the place at corner of bird rd and st. rt 40 we came up empty handed. then made a dash to a couple auto part stores but still no luck. :mad:

does anyone know where i might find a shear pin on sunday for outboard? or perhaps a substitute untill boat house opens on tuesday?

the size is 3/16 X 1 3/8"

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

lowes may have some copper rod or brass pins of that size.even a brass 3/16 th bolt.

3. Not sure what size motor you got, but on smaller outboards I've used 8 and 10 penny nails. However, when i had to use a nail to get me back fishing or to make it to the ramp I stayed a little less than half throttle. Hope this helps.

4. Tractor Supply, good hardware store, even Wal Mart. They have steel stock in a rack (bars, rods, angle iron). Usually, you can find brass along with it. Get a 3/16" brass rod and cut it to length. (steel will work temporarily). And you can make plenty of spares. Bend a loop in the end of the leftover rod. It makes a good land anchor to shove in the ground.

5. any weld supply shop will have 3/16 brazing rod, don't have a clue on price anymore with the price of brass I expect a dollar a 36 inch piece..if you can;t find and I may still have some at home