close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

help - redecking

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by capt-hook, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Last year some one offered to give me some hints and or aid in
    re-decking a boat. well I now have that boat and can`t remember
    who the kind soul was. :( I blame age as well as any thing for
    that problem. :eek: I think he resided up near Knox or in that
    general direction. Now I could use said help or hints. :D
    Boat is a Lund, 16ft, with 25 hp kicker. A really good deal for
    what I`ll have in it. Again, HELP.

Capt. Hook :eek:

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Hey capt not saying iam the one but do remeber talking to ya. I have done 2 its not bad. I have my boat in the garage and getting ready to cut out the fiberglass floor and redeck it also.

Yours is just wood and carpet deck right?
    pull out the deck make a patteren of the wood cut it out of treated plywood you can use marine but its expensive and treated will last along time and get carpet from lowes. Use adhesive to put down carpet and re install deck. let me know if have questions or want me to stop by see your on sunbury road could stop in one day on the way in to work see what you have.

3. Two

Two

I guess I'm not the only bored one doing his boat deck. I got a 19ft Wellcraft and mine is just about all done. I used 3 sheets of 3/4 plywood. The factory deck was 3/4 and snap to remove. Just remember not to cut to deep and know where the GAS TANK is. I am at the point right now putting down fiberglass along the joints and the gap between the hull and deck. I'm not sure if it's needed but it was done like that from the factory. After all is dry I'll put a few coats of water sealer on it. I want to use just a indoor/outdoor carpet and glue it in.

4. Hey thanks Jerry for the offer. I`m sure that your offer
    will be used. For-warning, there is no deck there!
    I mean it is but totally rotten. Hope there is enough for
    a template. Gonna prob. tow it home Thurs and will let
    you know for sure.

Capt Hook

5. Two

Two

You are welcome also capt hook . :rolleyes: I think I will just watch in the wings again.

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

When you get it home let me know i swing by one morning and look at it and we can brainstorm some ideas. same deal with boat iam doing now by the time i cut it out its rotten i will have to make my own template out of cardboard to get what i want.

7. Two

Two

Capt-hook and fish4fun, How did (is) the redecking going? All I got to do is lput down the carpet. Lowe's is the cheapest for indoor/outdoor so far I found.

8. How about some pics of our project boats. I've got 3/4 of my boat in my basement stripped and sanded waiting on carpet. My flooring was in decent shape (I found no rot), but the carpet was complete trash. I started redoing the boat in vinyl, but changed my mind about half way through when I realized none of my flooring was going to line up given the difference in material thickness.

I figured since I had the vinyl, I had to do something with it, so I cut out pieces to line the insides of all the hatch covers last night. My hatches are carpeted aluminum and were bare metal underneith so I though the vinyl would make for a nice finished look to the unersides when done. I got my carpet, Platinum II, from Cabelas. It was more expensive than indoor/outdoor carpet, but I am very pleased with the quality and thickness of the pile. My goal is to get as much of the interior covered as I can over the winter, then in spring do some electrical work, finish what pieces I couldn't get out before it got too cold and reassemble in time to do some fishing. Wish I had a garage to work in, but I'm not going to pay what they want ($160/month) for an indoor storage shed big enought to fit my trailer without electric or heat.

Barry

9. make sure the plywood is pretty dry before you guys try to glue down carpet. The NEW ACQ treatment holds quite a bit of water

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Seems like this came up somewhere once before & it was recommended to coat both sides with fiberglass resin I think. Anyway, you definitely would want to treat both sides with something as the bottom is exposed to moisture almost all the time.

11. MrFishOhio, I've read that too (fiberglassin the floor) I think in the iboats forums. There's a couple guys in the boat builing forum that seem to always be redoing a boat. I thought about doing that to mine while I have to floor out, but decided against it for a couple reasons. I like in a townhouse and I'm guessing the neighbors would be throwing a fit if I started fiberglassing in the basement. I was fortunate that after 6 years my floor was in good condition despite the dealer having left it uncovered outside for like 4 of them. I snapped a few pics the other night while I bolted some of the pieces together to get an idea of the layout. I was gonna take advantage of the web hosting my DSL provider give me and put up a site with them whenever I finally get some time.

Here's the before... Carpet was actually worse than this when I finally pulled it up

[​IMG]

Here's some of the pieces after I stripped them down and laid them out on the new carpet to get a feel for the color

[​IMG]

here's a couple more where I check the color match with the new seats and figure out where to put the rod/net holder tubes. these are a little blurry but it was late and was starting to get the shakes from way too much caffine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

You may want to raise the rod holders as high as you can to compensate for the rod handles. Then again, my rods have long handles, put a few of your rods in them to check them out before drilling an securing.

13. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

It was good seeing you agian capt and like i said when your ready to start just give me a buz and let me know if need some help in the mornings before work. its only about 15min from work.