close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help, Quick! Steelies nearby Euclid

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by AndroDoug, Sep 29, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I have one quick job up in Euclid tomorrow afternoon (Thursday sept 30th), and I live in Akron/Tallmadge. I'd like to make the most of my trip up there (since I usually work Summit, Portage, and Mahoning) and I will bring my pole to try my hand at these trout everyone talks about! What lakeshore places can I go to for a few hours near Euclid? I have maps, but have no idea of anything up there! I understand they are gathering in the mouths??? Chagrin maybe? What tackle should I use? What bait shops are nearby that I can go to get the tackle I need? I know this is short notice, but thanks in advance for quick responses as I will be going there in the morning.

2. Fish Tale

Fish Tale Sea Food Eater

AndroDoug

Just West of Neff Rd. off Lakeshore Blvd. is a place called Wildwood State Park.They have a bait shop with some tackle, but not that great of a selection. They should have little cleos and ko wobblers,get some blue and silver and green and silver ones and cast them off the short west wall in front of the mouth of euclid creek. Hope this helps.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...ty=Cleveland&state=OH&zipcode=&search=Get Map

3. Fish Tale is right, that's probably your best bet. Just be prepared for lots of guys throwing hardware there, and not really caring if they cast right over you.

4. also their is a guy their tha t is always their with the old guy. the old guy is a expert at this at neff he let me reel one in once

5. AndroDoug

Went to Wildwood park today for a couple of hours. Thanks guys for the help! Unfortunately I did not catch one, but I did get a sheephead (??). I saw one guy land a super-nice steelie and another guy walking home with another hanger. That was the only activity. It sure was a nice day to get out and get a line wet though! I will catch my first steelie sooner or later. :( I think maybe throwing bass baits had something to do with it! I didn't stop anywhere and get the cleo's and wobblers like I was told to :mad:

6. What type of bass baits were you throwing? You can catch steelhead on pretty much anything that resembles a baitfish. Don't worry, the best is yet to come.

7. AndroDoug

I know... I saw your post on 1st Steelie!! I am going to catch one, or two, or more!!!

I have a night mare day tommorrow as I have jobs in Rome, Jefferson, Ashtabula and Mentor. Maybe no time to fish, but if 1 or more doesn't go in, I'll hit some other river/creek mouths.

The baits I was throwing I was trying to resemble bait fish. 1st a small chrome/blue rattle trap. 2nd a small white rooster tail spinner. 3rd a medium size pearl rattle trap, and finally a suspending fire tiger shad rap. Zippo. It was just dead at that time I think. There were only around 7 guys and 4 of them left in the first hour I was there.

Is live or artificial better now? What size jig should I use if I go with the maggot combo? I have some little mini-foo jigs I bought last year, but they seem too small compared to the the two fish I saw today. Besides, I cant cast them very far cuz they are too light. A bigger jig maybe? Will a minnow work on the end too?

8. The week AFTER next, I'm on 1-9pm. Mornings FREE and I plan on hitting the wall at Fairport. Keep the great reports coming in.

9. I've seen steelhead caught on those lures, but the cleos would work a lot better. As far as the jig, you would want a 1/32, or 1/64 at the smallest. If you use a 1/64, you might want to put a small splitshot above it. Black or black/red head works best in my book. I've seen them caught with a minnow on them more in the winter at the warm water discharges, but I don't see why it wouldn't work now.

10. AndroDoug

Yeah, I bought those little mini foo jigs last spring/late winter for my 2 trips up to ashtabula river gorge. I tried my hand at it last year and got skunked too. I used store-bought spawn and those jigs. The guys that were down there last season said we missed the BIG action by just a couple days each time :mad: ! I still can't believe the size of those 2 steelies that were caught at Euclid Creek. I have only ever caught 2 fish that were comparible in size. I once caught a 34 inch pike that weighed in around 12 pounds and a catfish when I was a kid that was almost 20. I can't wait to hook into one.

One other quick question. I have a 2500 size spinning reel and am using 8 lb test. I assume that is OK. I could always switch out to a 4000 if needed. I can fight almost any fish with my 2500 though.

11. Dingo

Dingo

2500 size is perfect. 4000 tends to get a bit heavy. In my opinion, steelhead fishing is 80%+ timing. I spend less time on the river (or lake) these days, but catch many more fish than in the past. Probably since I live close enough to the river to know when to go, and when to go elsewhere or do something else. If at the right place, at the right time, most anything will work. In the fall, the premium time is when the river is dropping and clearing, but not quite to the 'normal level'. The water takes on a greenish color, but clear in the riffles and real shallow areas. This provides fresh fish in water with enough color where they aren't easily spooked.

Unless purchased from a store that is making their own fresh sacs, it's probably best to skip the spawn and stick to jig/maggot or minnows if using spinning equipment (or spinners, spoons, stickbaits). Catching/keeping one female should provide enough fresh spawn for a season when stored and packaged properly.

12. i went buy neff yesterday didnt catch any but their was a couple jumping around about 26 inches. saw two of them one followed my lure then stoped