Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting back into fishing after about 20 years. Kids are 6 and 8. When I take them, that just want to catch fish. When I am able to get out by myself, prefer to go after the cats. I am not originally from around here (North Canton) and am a bit overwhelmed by the massive numbers of bodies of water in these parts. Just looking for a little advice on the professionals' favorite fishing holes and rigs both for family fishing time and when I'm alone. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I do well for cats at Nimi and Moggy. From shore I use a Carolina rig to tight line with cut gills as bait. To get the grandkids on fish I will take them to Sippo Lake. It is full of white perch and my grandkids have had trips where they have caught 50 of them in like 2 hours. For Sippo just use a bit of worm a couple feet below a bobber.

Reactions: HappySnag

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do well for cats at Nimi and Moggy. From shore I use a Carolina rig to tight line with cut gills as bait. To get the grandkids on fish I will take them to Sippo Lake. It is full of white perch and my grandkids have had trips where they have caught 50 of them in like 2 hours. For Sippo just use a bit of worm a couple feet below a bobber.
Thank you very much

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was pretty set on Milton, but guy at bait shop suggested Might as we
Looking at lake maps. Notice not a lot of visible shore at Moggy, and Nimi is huge with tons of options. Care to share any shore spots you had success at for either of those. Taking the kids to Sippo Friday, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Lot of people fish at night at both ramps on Christman rd, of the two I usually go to the north ramp. Another spot I shore fish is the fish cove just north of the south ramp, water comes close to the road so a short walk. Also at this spot the water drops to 11-12 feet within 10 yards of shore.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lot of people fish at night at both ramps on Christman rd, of the two I usually go to the north ramp. Another spot I shore fish is the fish cove just north of the south ramp, water comes close to the road so a short walk. Also at this spot the water drops to 11-12 feet within 10 yards of shore.
Buddy and I are planning to go out this Friday evening to Moggy or Nimi to try to get some cats. Fortunately, he has a boat. Never went for cats from boat before. My little bit of experience is limited to tight line or slip bobber from shore. Would love to hear any suggestions you may have. Thanks again for all the info already given, really appreciate it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
For mogadore, look for down trees in deeper water or if you have a depth finder go off shore to find lay down trees and other structures. Usually we always catch catfish using artificial bass lures fishing next to or near by woods. I would imagine if you use catfish baits it would be even better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For mogadore, look for down trees in deeper water or if you have a depth finder go off shore to find lay down trees and other structures. Usually we always catch catfish using artificial bass lures fishing next to or near by woods. I would imagine if you use catfish baits it would be even better.
Buddy with the boat not able to make it Friday. Going to be fishing from shore for cats. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Try taking the kids to Boettler park in Green. They can fish for gills at the ponds that are catch and release only, while you fish for the channel cats that are in there! The pond in the front is stocked with trout in the spring for a kids fishing derby and you can keep anything you catch from there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try taking the kids to Boettler park in Green. They can fish for gills at the ponds that are catch and release only, while you fish for the channel cats that are in there! The pond in the front is stocked with trout in the spring for a kids fishing derby and you can keep anything you catch from there.
Thanks. We actually go there often. Last time we caught a Gill, bass, cat, and turtle. All on bobber. Kids love it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts