Help on ocean fishing- going to hilton head

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Capital outdoorsman, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

Never fished the ocean. Going to Hilton Head and have a house on the beach for a week. Thinking of getting a charter but kind of leaning toward doing some exploratory bank fishing. Looking for recommendations and more importantly, what I need! What kind of bait do you use? I'm guessing renting the equipment would be best since I don't have any heavy action rods and stuff to handle larger fish. Any info would be great! Thanks.

2. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

You do not need heavy action rods. 12 to 14lb test on spin tackle is just fine. As for bait, never use frozen bait. Buy fresh shrimp or bloodworm. Go to a bait store and ask them to supply you with some bottom rigs with 2oz pyrimid sinkers. Use a somewhat small hook. You don't need alot of bait on your hook. If your surf fishing you will need a week fishing lic. When you cast don't cast as far as you can. Most of your bites are going to come right past where the waves break. You should try a pier also. It can be alot of fun. Plus you can watch what other people are doing and how to do it. Good luck and let me know how you did.

3. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

thanks for the input. I was doing as much research as I could and found that speckled trout and redfin are pretty active all over and the primary bait is shrimp.

4. la2ohio

la2ohio L.A.2Ohio

:) You can also try D.O.A. shrimp lures, they are already pre-rigged and work just fine as the real stuff. Just have to weight it sometimes with a split shot, depending on the surf. Just like the other guy said, 12-14lb test line and a decent spinning outfit like for bass fishing, try a 7 foot medium-medium heavy graphite rod. You should get into something good.

Good luck and hold on, fish are biting.

L.A.2Ohio

Will

5. Find a Jetty or a public marina that may let you fish.

6. Probably late on this thread, but fish when the tide is moving. Either way, up or down, when the tide moves, the fish are much more active.

You could also look into heading toward Bluffton (south of H.H. by about 20 minutes) and seeing about a charter on the river. Beautiful scenery, even if you don't get the opportunity to fish it. The dolphins swim right up to the boat on the river.