close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help needed from abu garcia reel users

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by mbass8dor, May 2, 2005.

1. Hello all
    I need some help, I have 3 abu garcia baitcast reels that keep sticking on retrieves. but this is what's strange, it doesn't do it every time.
    I've taken out the y- shaped screw on the worm gear, I don't see any problem. Like I said it only happens, some times when it gets to the end it sticks. Reels are well oiled and clean, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Be sure you're not overspooled. Sometimes the line will hit the frame after a few casts & the line adjusts itself after respooling.
    Next thing is the clicker, maybe it's hitting ?

3. Thank You
    I Checked The Reels And I Took Some Line Off, And It Does Seem To Work A Little Better But Still Sticks. I Think It's The Levelwind, But Will Check Everything You Suggested Thankyou Again.

Tom

4. It's really a stretch but check your rod tips. I had a reel a couple of years ago that seemed to hang up. I found a groove cut in the guide on the end of the rod which was grabbing the line. I was stumped for awhile because it didn't hang up all of the time.

5. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Might be able to help if you tell the what the reel is?

6. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Sometimes that gets shifted in the reel ( you may have lost a c clip or something), and the level wind guide will hit the end of the hole in the bottom before it gets to the end of the drive gear. Had one do this to me a few years ago on a 6500. Also, check very carefully the gears on the clicker side. Had a single tooth break off on another reel and get mashed back into it a few teeth farther around the gear. Made the reel "catch" about every 3/4 or so handle turn. Took me a long time to figure that one out.

7. Thanks
    For the help, that sounds exactly what can be going on. by the way,The reels are the 5000 and the 5000c. does this happen often, to these reels?

Tom

8. Check the line carriage pawl, the little gizmo that rides in the carriage (worm) screw. If it is worn it will twist out of position and can result in the problem you describe....

9. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I have two of the same reels and have the same problem. Didn't bother to get them fixed just bought new ones. Still have the reals and would like to fix them, so if you find out what the problem is let me know please. thanks.

10. Hey Bigdaddy
    I Found Out The Problem, It's The Level Wind Guide. Find Out Where It Sticks, For Me It Kept Sticking On The Left. So I Watched What It Was Doing, Unscrewed The Set Screw And Moved It To The Right And It Worked! On The Second Reel It Worked As Well, But I Had A Worn Y-piece That Catches The Worm Gear. Changed That And It Works Fine. Thanks To All For Their Input.

Tom