close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help Needed Desperately

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by olwhitee, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Okay, I got my daughter a bike for x mas, and decided to save the xtra 10 dollars to have it assembled. Good choice.Not.

I need help getting the handlebars into the fork. The directions are useless, and I am just confused and desperate to get this bike together. I wish I could get a pic of the parts I need to assemble, hopefully someone just knows what I mean. I just need to mount the handlebars to the bike.

Has anyone put a mountain bike together that can explain how the handlebars fit into the bike?? I feel so dumb but I am running out of options, santa has to come soon and he cannot leave a half put together bike under the tree.

2. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

is the neck attached to the handle bars already, if so, make sure the the long bolt the goes into the neck is loose, just put the angled piece loosley on that bolt and slide it into the the top of the forks, whick should be already pushed up throught the front of the frame.

3. okay, I am slow I guess. The handlebars are already mounted to the neck. I see the angled piece. It is attached to a screw that goes trhough the length of the neck. When I try to put it into the lock nut, it does not fit. For the life of me I just cannot see how it fits together. The neck is cut out where the angled piece is, the metal and the angle piece will not fit into the lock nut, the circumference is to large......

this is silly

4. bill_gfish

basic bicycle directions pics

look at #'s 15 andn 16

that angled piece need to be loose and the big lock nut to the forks loose as well. Should be able to wiggle it into the neck. turn forks backwards and all till it goes in. If it doesn't go through the locking nut unscrew it and slide it up the fork neck first then wiggle it in the frame.

bill

5. I think I have it,

I take the angled piece off of the long screw, slide the locking nut onto the screw, put the angled piece back on the screw, tighten the locking nut, then tighten the top of the screw that runs through the angled piece?

I apologize for being slow in the head, had to drive eleven hours today on no sleep, thank you for being patient and helping me out.

6. bill_gfish

Not a problem, been there and was glad when someone helped me out. Merry chrismas and your daughter will be much happier being able to steer her new bike. lol

bill

7. so i take it that what I wrote above is the right way?

thanks again

8. bill_gfish

yes, it should work that way. Wife is bugging me to get to the puter. Let me know if that works cuz I don't want to leave ya hangin.

bill

9. It will work,I just needed it to make sense a bit, thanks a ton for the help.

Have a very happy holiday!!