close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HELP!!! Need suggestions.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigDaddy300, Jun 29, 2005.

1. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

My 4 year old daughter just had here tonsils and adenoids removed. The doctors really stressed keeping the throat moist and her hydrated for proper healing. Can't get her to even take any sips of any fluids. Tried everything I could think of but nothing is working. If she dosen't get some fluids in her we will be at the emergency room soon for dehydration. Anyone have any experience with this, either their children or someone they know of. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Stay away from all dairy products including Ice Cream.
    Buy some popsicles.
    That will at least give her some fluids and feel good to her throat.
    Good luck!

3. BigDaddy300

Thanks but already tried the popsicles. Bought all kinds and all flavors but couldn,t get her to budge. I don,t know what to do.

4. Mom used jello with my brother years ago when he had this done.just let him hold it in his mouth to melt.very small bites at first.hope this helps some.and i hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Bub

5. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

I just went throught this 3 weeks ago. my daughter is usually a big drinker but she would barely drink a drop. wife tried but she still wouldn't. bought every flavored water and gatorade, ice pops. I finally laid the law down and threatened pouring it down her throat, threatened with E.R. and I.V. and that she would still have to drink. honestly I yelled more than I should have but she finally started. Even when she realized that her throat hurt less the more she drank she still wouldn't start untill I got home from work and laid the law down again. She drank those "squeeze it" drinks the most. stay away from red it they didn't tell you due to looking blood like. The dif. is my daughter just turned 7. she is now drinking, talking, playing and eating more than enough to gain the 5 lbs. she lost. oh and she ate a lot of chicken noodle soup, loved the broth in it. I know there is an age dif. but I hope this helps a little. gotta force the little one to drink. prayer helps too! ;)

bill

6. Robocat

Robocat Rob

We just went through this with my 4 year old daughter earlier this month. She did not want to drink or eat after her surgery and we kept after her to take little sips of water and melted popsicles and explained to her that if she did not take any fluids that we would have to take her to the ER and that they would have to put a IV in her. I think that the idea (i.e. fear) of going to the Hospital is what finally got her to start drinking. We also kept reinforcing the idea to her that although her throat hurt now that by drinking fluids it would eventually help her feel better soon. I would also suggest that you try spoon-feeding her a snowcone as she may find that if she sucks on the ice chips that it will help sooth her sorethroat. I hope this helps and that she is feeling better soon! :eek:

7. BigDaddy300

She is starting to do much better. Getting some fluids in her and she has even taken a couple little bites of food.
    Thanks guys for all the great advice.

8. thats good to hear, i was going to ask how she was but you beat me to it.

Bub

9. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

i had my tonsils and uvula cut out a week ago monday. that has to be the most painful thing i have ever went through in my life. the first 3 days/nights i sat up and cried all night because it hurt that bad. it took me 30 min to swallow two pills, so i got some of the stuff in a liquid version. they told me to shoot it like a shot because the taste was so bad. well when that crap hit the back of might throat if felt like i was tossing whiskey back on the open wounds. yesterday was the first day that i was able to actually eat a whole can of soup at one sitting, previous times 1 can would make for 2 or 3 meals. it now has been 10 days since i had them out and im finally able to eat somewhat regular. drinking fluids is still a challenge and i have found room tempature fluids are easier to drink then chilled. garlgling warm salt water really helped me out the most i think. one good thing for me was i lost 15 lbs since i had them out , but no food goin in means none comin out either...

the doc gave me this stuff called "magic mouthwash", it was a combo of lidocane,maalox and waldryl i think. it basically was a shot that would numb up my mouth like ora-gel would do a your gums. it definatley made takin the pills alot easier...

tell her to hang in there, and it will be better in few more days!!!!

sowbelly