Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some advice from some of you guys that's getting fish. I have my son and my 10 yr old grandson with me. and would really like to put them on some good fishing. we fished between Geneva and bula yesterday all day from the 06 to the 09 line and only got 4 fish and lost 2 real hogs. what I need is just where should we be fishing. should we stick with Geneva and hope they get over lockjaw or should I move over to conny?? if I move to conny what lines should we be running?? from what I've read so far is the 06 to 09 lines and west of the harbor. any help you guys can give me would be a blessing.

im not a tournament fisherman and don't want your hot spots or programs your running. just a good place to fish and theres plenty of fish out there for guys like me and still keep your secrets.

and I go by last chance or just Sherman on channel 68 if you need help and I can help or if you just want to double team the fish im always ready to help any way I can. good luck to you one and all.
sherman

·
Registered
146 Posts
wish i could help....getting these kids on fish is so important for their love of the sport. I know my brother,dad, and grandpa got me on fish and I've been fishing for 20+ years. Good luck in your efforts!

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Sherm,
There is plenty of action directly North of Bula now. Sometimes they've been hitting better in closer (03-06 lines), sometimes medium (06-08), and sometimes out farther (08-11). Look at your graph and see if you have bait balls and hooks before you drop a line.

The weather of late has been messing with the fishin. I have found some fish up higher 20-24' and some lower 35-50'. I put the trip 40s away a month ago to concentrate on 3 oz inlines. I was going out and putting a little of everything out...trips, 3ozers, dipsies, spoons, plugs, harnesses...and not doing particularly well. When I started focusing on just one or two techniques my catch rate improved dramatically.

I'll usually start the day now with some 3ozers back 45-55' and some back at 100-120'. Earlier in the day the higher baits catch better, then, 0900 and later, the further back one's take over. I'll usually put out a dipsy or two also to see if they are going to hit. A favorite setting has been #4/125'. Last Friday in the wind, that one dipsy pulled 8-9 eyes alone (with a neon lights Colorado).

Don't be afraid to experiment with colors, setbacks, headings, and speed if you are marking fish but not catching. Two Sundays ago, the last really nice day I was out, I pulled eyes early but the bite went dead mid-morning. It was a flat lake, and you would have thought the bite was OVER. I turned to a heading of NW (after trolling East and SE for an hour) and it was like flipping a switch! Immediately, three of my boards went back, and before we got the first half way in we had three more rods cook off. It was amazing...and looking around, nobody else had crap on. I called a friend (he also hadn't pulled a fish in a long while), and as soon as he come to the heading he had 5 of 8 board rods heading in the opposite direction too. It wasn't like he was right next to my boat either...he was about a mile away.

Colors that have been working for me have been predominately pink based. Although, there have been some days salamander or chartreuse backed muffin have been HOTT. This past Sunday, I put on an antifreeze panties UV blade just for giggles during a mid-morning lull, and that became a killer. I only had one, and that rod pulled 6 or 7 of our fish. I'm running mostly colorados on the boards and dipsies. However, I'll always have at least one double willow and sometimes a large single willow out to see what they do. Sometimes I find that the willows dominate, then I switch most of the others over to that.

Bottom line...don't be afraid to experiment. If you are marking fish and not catching, that doesn't mean they are dormant. It means your technique sucks. You can hook a dead fish with the right technique! ;)

Good luck out there.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replys. a little information goes a long way. sounds like we may just need to move a little farther to the east.

we started fishing last tues and did ok once we located some fish. then wed and thurs was ok but we quit early both days. it was just to hot out there for us. then we took fri and sat off and went back out sun and fished until around noon and had 9 fish. the last couple of hours we only caught 1 fish. we started to run back out to where we started and make another run but after we got started my son and grandson were both getting a little green around the gills so I said lets just call it a day and nobody wanted to stay, LOL. so we thought we would go back to where we had started on mon. but when we got out there mon there was no boats and the fish had just turned off the switch. so that's when I thought I would ask for a little help. we've been fishing the 06 to 09 lines but haven't been that far east.

were taking today and tomorrow off fishing and spend some time with the wife. then thurs we plan to hit it hard. were going back to the area we caught 3 of our 4 fish yesterday and had a couple more hook ups. then if its not producing we'll move a few miles east and see if the fishing gets any better.

if anyone has any better ideas im open to any suggestions. our best colors have been nuclear green and black with chartreuse spots. but we have thrown every color we had at them yesterday. and we have caught fish from 90 ft on a 1 setting to our best leads which has been from 210 back to as far as 240 back. 3 of the 4 fish we caught yesterday was after we moved our 3 settings back to 240. were giving it our best shots. thanks again guys for your help.
sherman
sherman

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
...if anyone has any better ideas im open to any suggestions. our best colors have been nuclear green and black with chartreuse spots. but we have thrown every color we had at them yesterday. and we have caught fish from 90 ft on a 1 setting to our best leads which has been from 210 back to as far as 240 back. 3 of the 4 fish we caught yesterday was after we moved our 3 settings back to 240. were giving it our best shots. thanks again guys for your help.
sherman
sherman
Sounds like you are holding firm on dipsies? You might want to try some 3oz inlines on inline boards. Dipsies have been on/off (mostly off) for me. You are holding yourself back by just using dipsies, IMHO. By the way, your dipsies run differently than mine. A 240' #3 on my boat will be dragging across the bottom.

Black with chartreuse spots is salamander. sometimes they are GOOD. Lately, for me, they have been mostly weak producers.

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Fishing probably better in Geneva...

240 on 3...I don't think I've ever run a dipsy past 190...maybe you need to calibrate your stuff?...

Boards put fish in the boat...plain and simple...great post Workdog my cooler be very empty if I were depending on just dipsys...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you are holding firm on dipsies? You might want to try some 3oz inlines on inline boards. Dipsies have been on/off (mostly off) for me. You are holding yourself back by just using dipsies, IMHO. By the way, your dipsies run differently than mine. A 240' #3 on my boat will be dragging across the bottom.

Black with chartreuse spots is salamander. sometimes they are GOOD. Lately, for me, they have been mostly weak producers.
im not really using dipsy,s we use the lite bite slide diver and are guestamating a 3 setting on a dipsy but its a 4.5 setting on the lite bite slide divers. and a 240 setting gets me down about 65 ft. and I use 65 lb braid for my main line so I don't dive as deep as guys using say a 30 lb braid. the reason im using the heavy braid isn't because I need it. but I've just fished the central basin a few yrs. when we 1st started we took out a charter a couple of times and that's what he used and we caught fish. and I just wanted to go as close to his program as we could. so we used the 65 lb braid and double willow harnesses. then as time has went on we have used spoons and double Colorado blades. and we have always caught a few fish this way until mon when it was almost barren. I know there is times when there is better ways to catch fish than using divers. but its took me a long time to get where were at with the divers so I would be lost trying to learn a new program.

the way I got my depth was we went to 50 ft of water on a 4.5 setting and let out line until we hit bottom. and it took 185 ft to hit bottom in 50 ft of water. that averaged 2.7 ft deep for every 10 ft of line out. and at 240 ft out gave us 64.8 ft deep on the 4.5 setting.

last yr we were marking most of our fish at 48 to 50 ft and we ran our leads at 150 on a 4.5 setting and 130 on a 3 setting and 110 on a 1.5 setting and we had a great fishing trip. this yr were marking a lot of fish on the bottom along with the shallow fish so we've been running some deep lines and its paid off the first few days we fished. but mon it didn't seem to matter where we ran our lines until I went to the 240 setting and then we did manage to get 3 nice fish in that one spot. and I think we just need to move farther east to get us back on fish. I hope that's all it takes. but from the lines I've been getting from you guys the fish has moved farther east than where we were getting them last week.

there has just been to many guys that's offered help to thank each and every one of you so i'll just say thank you ogf for all your help.

we'll be back out there tomorrow. so if you see an old grey cobia boat with a blue top and 3 fisherman give us a holler on ch 68 I go by last chance on the water or just sherman

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
im not really using dipsy,s we use the lite bite slide diver and are guestamating a 3 setting on a dipsy but its a 4.5 setting on the lite bite slide divers. and a 240 setting gets me down about 65 ft. and I use 65 lb braid for my main line so I don't dive as deep as guys using say a 30 lb braid. the reason im using the heavy braid isn't because I need it. but I've just fished the central basin a few yrs. when we 1st started we took out a charter a couple of times and that's what he used and we caught fish. and I just wanted to go as close to his program as we could...
Just a couple impressions on what you said: If you want to go to school on what successful fishermen are using...use what successful fishermen are using. Nobody who is catching is reporting setbacks for "lite bite slide divers." I think you are greatly limiting yourself by only using the slide divers. Like Carpetbagger and I said, if we were only using dipsies we wouldn't be doing so well either. Dipsies have their day, but it's not every day. The very next charter you need to go on is with the Zart's, Mike Knippenberg, Jeff Jessep, or George Uhl for inline boards and harnesses; or Carpetbagger Jeff for wire and plugs, trips and big boards.

... so we used the 65 lb braid and double willow harnesses. then as time has went on we have used spoons and double Colorado blades. and we have always caught a few fish this way until mon when it was almost barren. I know there is times when there is better ways to catch fish than using divers. but its took me a long time to get where were at with the divers so I would be lost trying to learn a new program.
Perhaps in the clearer water the walleyes don't like heavy braid. Also, double willows of late have not been producing (for me anyways) nearly as well as single #6 colorados. Spoons have not been producing for me AT ALL. Don't be afraid to learn something new. Old dogs can, and do, learn new tricks. I'm testament to that. :D If you use colorados, get your speed down to 1.5 to 1.7.

...the way I got my depth was we went to 50 ft of water on a 4.5 setting and let out line until we hit bottom. and it took 185 ft to hit bottom in 50 ft of water. that averaged 2.7 ft deep for every 10 ft of line out. and at 240 ft out gave us 64.8 ft deep on the 4.5 setting.

last yr we were marking most of our fish at 48 to 50 ft and we ran our leads at 150 on a 4.5 setting and 130 on a 3 setting and 110 on a 1.5 setting and we had a great fishing trip. this yr were marking a lot of fish on the bottom along with the shallow fish so we've been running some deep lines and its paid off the first few days we fished. but mon it didn't seem to matter where we ran our lines until I went to the 240 setting and then we did manage to get 3 nice fish in that one spot.
I think, for the most part, you are probably fishing too deep. I've had good action early in the mornings around 22-25' down, and later in the morning from 35-50' deep. A 60-65' fish may come up to a 45-50' bait, but a 35-50' fish will never go down to a 60-65' bait.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I haven't been up in a few weeks so can't really say how to target them. But I will share one thing from my childhood. My father would take us on Erie out of Ashtabula, and if we had an unproductive day walleye fishing he'd take the last couple of hours and troll near shore for smallmouth. Just to keep me and my brother catching fish and interested.

·
Lure Junkie
2,220 Posts
Been starting my mornings trying to zone in on the hot bite...focus from 30-50ft and adjust to where the active feeders are coming...past few weeks have been 35-45ft...

40 tru trips have been filling coolers for me since late June...unless this water stabilizes and we see that thermocline sets up a distinct temp break they probably will continue to produce...this up and down with the wind has thrown a big monkey wrench into everyone's program, yet has allowed for a lot of programs to work both up high and down low....

I still know guys getting good fish on reef runners with no weight...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well you guys came through with some good advice. and I would really like to charter some of those guys out just to go to school but its hard to get a date with some of those guys and sometimes its just not in the budget.

but we are a little stubborn and don't give up easy. so we set out this morning and got an early start. so we went out to the 06 line and set down and was marking fish from the top to the bottom. so we staggered our lines and fished for an hour without a hit. so we picked up and moved out to the 08 line and started a west troll with the waves. we had picked up 4 and lost a couple at noon so we decided to go back and make another pass. the wind had shifted more out of the ne so we went sw and slowly picked up our limit. it was just my son and me as my grandson didn't want to get out of bed at 4:00 am, LOL. so we only needed 12 for our limit. my son got his last fish at 3:10 this afternoon.

our program was a little strange as we caught our fish using lite bite slide divers. we used a 4.5 setting back 210 ft and a 3 setting back 190 ft. we tried running shallow but just couldn't get them to go for us. we had a great father and son day and caught a few fish to boot. 10 were 25" to 31" and we had 2 small fish. and we had 3 nice perch. one we used the net on because we didn't want to lose him he was huge.

thanks to all you guys that posted and for the pm,s.
sherman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts