close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Help me understand ODNR stocking program

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Action, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Why don't they stock more bass fingerlings in the lakes. Is there a problem with adding additional fish to lakes that have lower populations.
    Why don't we have any catch and release only lakes ? They have people standing in line in other states to get into catch and release lakes.
    A fish is a fish to raise, so if the ODNR stocked millions walleye as they have saugeye wouldn't that have paid off in the long run. I know about the growth rate but I'm talking long term effects.
    Just Curious

2. catking

catking Banned

Bass are prolific breeders in most lakes, so they usually don't need a boost. Walleyes don't do well in alot of lakes because of water quality, depth, etc. Raising fish is expensive, so they pick there poison ;) And saugeye's grow fast, will live anywhere, and are easy to catch. Channel cats have a hard time breeding in alot of lakes also, so the state stocks alot of these..As far as C&R lakes, I really don't know why we don't have a few around. I know Knox has am 18" limit on bass, which is close to being C&R :D , I guess old habits are hard to kick. I still say about 70-75% of fishermen keep their fish.......I heard some of this from an ODNR officer working at a hatchery, some is my opinion, and some is just plain guess work....... :D .DA KING !!!

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

With this question what effect will or is an 18" limit having on knox lake. Alot of people are catching small bass in knox. So lets say that 70% of people who do catch an 18" keep it how long before the bigg bass are gone and it will take some time for the little ones to grow.

4. The stocking of more Shovelheads is all that I ask for

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Im glad they finally started stocking some walleye in La Due again. In a few years Ill ice fish there every weekend.

6. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Action, your questions are very valid, and I wonder that myself, as Ohio doesn't have a good number of largemouth fisheries, and there's really no reason for it. I say that because we have a number of lakes that can support a good population of largemouth, I just don't think the ODNR stocks them well. I hear ya man!

7. Getting enough bass eggs for a viablle stocking program would be a small problem that could be over come...
    Walleye eggs are very easy to get and saugeye are almost as easy...
    Here lies your problem with stocking bass...
    You would have to eliminate or down size a stocking program that is doing great now to take a chance on starting one that may not work...
    A reasonable semi solution would be to start a petition to raise fishing license cost to provide the money to re-open an existing hatchery or build another for a bass stocking program... See how far that flies before moving ahead...
    I have seen where slot limits ans the 12" keeper rule have done wonders for bass fishing... That may still be the only way to go...

8. (A reasonable semi solution would be to start a petition to raise fishing license cost to provide the money to re-open an existing hatchery)from what i read a whie back i may be wrong but it said the state wildlife programs where going broke because the state was taking money out of the programs and putting it into other things seems like there are more fishermen with lic than ever but i c few gamewardens when i was a kid u had to make sure u went by the law because u never knew when u would be checked now it seems u never c one the last time i saw a game warden was a year ago in the bassproshops parking lot :eek:

9. I think I remember reading something too...
    It had to do with the state not wanting to reimburse the DNR (or whomever) the money that is lost from hunting/fishing license for those over 65... The law has now been changed to no more free license... Can't recall exactly how it works but we're not losing money or going broke..

10. it had nothing to do with free lic they where taking money and putting it into other dep things that had nothing to do with or would benafit fishing at all ill look around and c if i can find it it came out about two years ago in feild and stream the title of the story was something like wildlife dwpartment going broke

11. I read that story.. its mis-leading at best because most if not all gov't agencies are going broke ( its called bad management ) and yes the state is no longer replacing money that is lost with the free license program thus our license fees went up while free license no longer exist except for certain age groups who qualified before this went into affect...

12. Resident Senior Fishing License..................................................... $10.00
    For persons age 66 and older born on or after January 1, 1938, who have resided in Ohio for the past 6 months.
    Category 4. Resident Reduced-Cost Senior Licenses - for Ohio residents age 66 and older, and who were born on or after 1/1/1938.
    Category 5. Resident Free Senior Licenses - for Ohio residents born on or before 12/31/1937